Like Tree30Likes

Jumping of the Tai Tam Reservoir bridges

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Lantau has a great infinity pool tucked away up a beautiful steep valley. Completely legal (and amazing). There are several pools leading up to it which you can jump in. Water levels will be low because the rainy season hasn't kicked in yet. So you need to be extra cautious (doing something stupid, if you're cliff jumping). You don't know the contours of the rocks below.

There are some things insanely large turtles (2ft in diameter?) and fish (4 ft. long?) in Tai Tam reservoir which are probably older than your mother. So if the police don't catch you, they might! Remember, HK is a crowded place and there will probably always be someone to call the police.
    I believe the infinity pool is now off limits.

The other place I like to go is the Nam Chung Country Trail. The first half of that trail is parallel to, and crosses, the stream and you can walk up the stream instead of on the path. There are some lovely waterfalls and waterholes (including jumping spots) up there. Also legal.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I believe the infinity pool is now off limits.

The other place I like to go is the Nam Chung Country Trail. The first half of that trail is parallel to, and crosses, the stream and you can walk up the stream instead of on the path. There are some lovely waterfalls and waterholes (including jumping spots) up there. Also legal.
    Huh?! What happened to the Lantau Infinity pool??? The reservoirs are illegal to swim in because they're that: reservoirs, but the Lantau pool is just a nice pool in the open.

You're definitely right about Nam Chung Country Trail if the OP is looking for an "adventure". The highest fall is pretty high -- you can't climb up that can you (without ropes)? Anyway, this trail is one of my favorite "hidden gem" trails in all of HK. (I don't know how hidden it is -- but it certainly is fun.)

That I think is a much better kind of "jumping" in HK. At least you won't get arrested for it.

Huh?! What happened to the Lantau Infinity pool??? The reservoirs are illegal to swim in because they're that: reservoirs, but the Lantau pool is just a nice pool in the open.
    http://www.hongkonghikers.org/item/6...f=geoexpat.com

Tai O Infinity Pool CLOSED permanently

I hear from Steve that police and AFCD officials were at the Tai O Infinity Pool today and have advised that it is closed pemanantly - it is forbidden to enter the water, with some pretty severe penalties. (In fact it was always thuis, but now the rules will be enforced)

Personally, having seen many photos of the filthy state that people had been leaving it and the surrounding area in I can't say that I'm too upset about this.

At least one prosecution has taken place of people illegally entering the reservoir: http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...1411190521.htm
    Last edited by 100LL; 21-03-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Ummm, its a reservoir. Built for purpose.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

You're definitely right about Nam Chung Country Trail if the OP is looking for an "adventure". The highest fall is pretty high -- you can't climb up that can you (without ropes)? Anyway, this trail is one of my favorite "hidden gem" trails in all of HK. (I don't know how hidden it is -- but it certainly is fun.)
    Responding to a bit of an older post here, but anyway:

What happened was that people started posting about it on Facebook, Instagram, internet forums, and I believe it made it into a couple of the free papers.

The last time I was there (years ago now) it had turned in a complete circus of dumbass drunken expats (mainly Brits and French). There were perhaps 50 people there instead of the usual 3-4. Many people were sitting on the wall of the dam (i.e. with a massive drop to one side) drinking beer. The place had changed from an obscure hiking destination to some surrogate for a cheap Spanish beach holiday, and the area was being trashed.

If left open, it was only a matter of time before some drunken fool provided a graphic example of Darwinism in action.

I'm usually all for the sharing of information on nice places, but this was a perfect example of a place that should not have been publicised- not only was it clearly a reservoir (the water department signs, the massive concrete wall being clues), it was too easy to get to by people in flip flops carrying eskies.
    Last edited by jgl; 29-11-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    shri, sunyhk, HK_Katherine and 4 others like this.

I agree @jgl. But a fence is a bit extreme! They are already prosecuting people, so I think it just takes some time to reverse the publicity it got.

Does anyone know if the water is treated before it goes to Tai O? (It wouldn't surprise me if not...)

I agree @jgl. But a fence is a bit extreme! They are already prosecuting people, so I think it just takes some time to reverse the publicity it got.

Does anyone know if the water is treated before it goes to Tai O? (It wouldn't surprise me if not...)
    I can't open the article from here, but if there's a fence, then I agree with it completely. From what I saw last time I was there, someone was eventually going to have a very serious injury, or die. Prosecuting people would do nothing- to get to the pool everyone had to walk past warning signs in the first place. And the more recent people only found out about this pool from Instagram or whatever, they don't pay attention to news from the country parks or legal system.

There are undoubtedly more hikes out there that I've never heard of which are amazing. But if the price of them remaining open is that they are really hard to find out about, I prefer that.
    Last edited by shri; 29-11-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    UK/HKboy and HK_Katherine like this.

I support building a fence. That's one thing we don't have enough of in Hong Kong. Fences.

Elegiaque likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast