Like Tree13Likes

looking for a rooftopping partner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

@dumbdonkey, that seemed to have nothing to do with rooftopping.

Rooftopping, as long as people are not damaging property, seems fairly innoculous. I suspect that most people do it are in it for the urban exploration, especially in a city like HK where the tops of buildings are pretty interesting and give great views. Certainly, the people I've known to have done it are just interested to see what's out there and to take good skyline photos.

I'd suspect that the media only pays attention to the idiot/daredevil element.

Personally, if I had to choose between roadbiking on HK Island (I bring this up because I cycle, and cannot fathom why people ride on the Island) or trying to get access rooftops, the second seems the far safer option.

Last edited by jgl; 08-04-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Yep, that's the daredevil element. Makes for fabulous media splashes. And in my opinion is also a bit attention-seeking and sad- needing an adrenaline rush I understand. Wanting to appear in the media as part of it is a bit lame.

I'm pretty sure that most people who get access to rooftops just want to see what's up there, and the city from a different viewpoint.

I have a photographer friend who did a series on HK rooftops just to give a different perspective on life in HK, to show how people made use of these spaces. I have other friends who've just tried to get access the buildings they live in to see what's at the top and to check out the view. These guys are all pretty sensible with safety, they just have an element of curiousity about their surroundings.

HK is a much more interesting city if you walk around the streets and check out what's above street level. You notice all sorts of odd little shops that you've otherwise been waking past, oblivious, for years.

Last edited by jgl; 08-04-2015 at 12:04 PM.

I went up to the top of Central Plaza when I first arrived here. I was able to lean over the edge of the 73/F, which is open to the elements. What a thrill. Then I was caught by the security guards.

wtbhotia likes this.

just wondering, what happened after? trouble? or did they just tell you to leave?

@nsxz214 I may be up for some rooftopping in July, I'm spending a few weeks over there, let me know if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by nsxz214:
    just wondering, what happened after? trouble? or did they just tell you to leave?
    They took me to their security room on some other level, told me to wait while they called some bloke in charge, and while they were doing that I ran away
    jayinhongkong, Trebor and Amyliouz like this.

If the can make sure to not fall onto any pedestrian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2