Like Tree15Likes

Scuba Diving - Recommeded School/s

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    The basic rule of diving in current is , you don't fight it, you go with the flow. That's why its called as drift diving.
    The dive instructor/master of the dive shop, lets say in Philippines, are expected to know which dive site normally has strong current and which doesn't, based on the capabilities of the divers, they decide where to go to. This is where the professional bit comes in handy. If he's expecting stronger currents, he is supposed to explain it to you and ensure you understand the instructions and follow them. Of course some immature people don't follow and do their own thing and those are the ones get in to trouble. Otherwise diving is pretty safe, I would do it all the time if not for my anxiety.
    Yes, may be the basic rule, but there are times when you do have to swim against the current.

I know PADI is out there selling diving to anyone and everyone and yes, it is generally safe, however I myself as an experienced diver do get nervous diving with someone who isn't such a good swimmer or who isn't comfortable in water.

Quote Originally Posted by DDV:
    Creative83 I understand what you are saying but I am not scared of water and hopefully there will be an instructor to save me in case I just want to experience it once and then see if I can take it further or not !! Hope that is ok ...I learnt breast stroke in just 1 class with No swimming history I am good at water, but yea for Free Style I cant as water gets in to my nose and I hate it thats the only limitation else I am confident in water !!
    Of course you will take it further. Nothing stopped you from swimming breaststroke to diving. What would stop you from transitioning from a diving school into open water?

Lets assume everything did went well for a whole year in open water, what happens if one unexpected event took place and you were never in that situation before and don't have the maneuvering capability to survive it?
    Last edited by Creative83; 15-04-2015 at 11:47 AM.

I don't know pin/C83, even some of the diving instructors I have met were not good swimmers and they have been diving for ages with over 500 dives under belt.
    Sure things can go wrong, accident can happen, but then a risk of accident is always there with whatever you are doing.
    Some time ago a friend's BCD valve came off during the dive, which meant he couldn't inflate. Fortunately, there were enough people around who helped him get back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    Lets assume everything did went well for a whole year in open water, what happens if one unexpected event took place and you were never in that situation before and don't have the maneuvering capability to survive it?
    Creative83 I respect your thoughts but every sport or adventure has a risk, I believe in following the rules and rest is on destiny. If something has to happen it will surely happen !!

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I don't know pin/C83, even some of the diving instructors I have met were not good swimmers and they have been diving for ages with over 500 dives under belt.
    Sure things can go wrong, accident can happen, but then a risk of accident is always there with whatever you are doing.
    Some time ago a friend's BCD valve came off during the dive, which meant he couldn't inflate. Fortunately, there were enough people around who helped him get back up.
    Absolutely !! Unfortunately Accidents happens and I dont know what will happen with me but I want to be positive and do not want to have negative thoughts while trying something new !! thanks Gunsnroses will wait for responses from others too and today I am gonna call splash and m divers both and may be visit them too...Feeling excited ...I will start in May for sure April is bit occupied for me Cant wait. I just hope I get some gud instructures ^_^

I wouldn't bother learning to dive in HK.

Head over to the Phils on a short cheap flight and do it there instead. Puerto Galera has several great operators - Asia Divers & Atlantic are two.

TB, op has said he doesn't really have any holidays left this year, so going to PG or anywhere else is not really an option.
    Besides, why waste holidays learning something that he can learn here without taking any days off? Once he has done the course, he can actually enjoy the scenic dives in PH or Thailand or whereever.

Because diving in HK is so shit it might put him off the sport for life... he is already not confident in the water so if you take out the fun aspect of diving (marine life, great visibility, corals) you're just left with a crappy experience doing something difficult that he is already nervous about.

Dear GNR &TB,
    I am a "She"

wtbhotia likes this.

The good news is that Splash is very thorough and will teach you to a high standard. The instructors are mostly native English speakers but I believe they have a couple of local Canto speaking ones.

The bad news is that HK can be c**p for diving in terms of temperature, visibility and abundance of sea life but if you learn how to dive here, the rest of Asia will be easy in comparison.

I would be more concerned about the OPs swimming ability. I'd make sure I could comfortably swim 200 m in a pool and open water before attempting to dive. Maybe get used to snorkeling first, as a stepping stone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast