Like Tree15Likes

Scuba Diving - Recommeded School/s

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

try to book a Discover Scuba Diving trip from Sai Kung with one of the operators, you get 2 dives in 5 meter depth waters of the small islands in Sai Kung. I did that before and it was fun, water was nice, saw a lot of sea urchins, I got to hold hands with a very pretty dive instructor Woof Woof, lunch was provided, we actually went to two different islands. Great Day out and it wasnt expensive less than 1000 per person for Full day of fun.

gunsnroses likes this.

OP, wtb gave a sound advice.
    Better try the DSD first and then see how you feel, before you commit to open water.

Whatever you do, don't go to Sanya for diving:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gre...ml#post7336090

wtbhotia likes this.

I opened and ran a dive centre in Tenerife a few years back (mid-life crisis?). Had huge arguments with PADI as in that location they were nothing more than a marketing organization allowing a bunch of cowboys (dangerous ones) to run incomplete courses with certification at the end as all applications were being signed off by a Master Instructor, to the tune of thousands a year.

Do your homework well and made sure you get the OW Manual to take away with you as you will need this for refreshing knowledge if you aren't a regular diver.

Good luck with the course, study hard and learn how to set up and carry your own equipment. I can't tell you how many divers came to us unable to set up their gear and unwilling to carry it anywhere - seems to be a common thing for a lot of divers who learned in places where labour was cheap!

It's a great sport but never underestimate the devastating effects of something happening at depth which you aren't prepared for, or which you respond to in the wrong way.

Happy bubbles

DDV likes this.

OP, if you want a very good diving eduction I suggest you qualify under BSAC. It is much more detailed and extensive than PADI, but you do get some excellent skills. You may need to improve your swimming endurance though.

Marine Divers seems to offer BSAC courses: 2014TRAININGOCEANDIVER

If I went back to learn how to dive again I would have gone the BSAC route.

Fiona in HKG and DDV like this.

Lots of sound advice here already. Here are my 2 cents.

Find a reputable instructor who is actually putting in his/her heart to teach you the knowledge and skills that you need to be safe in the water. Like Fiona said, there are schools out there that are only interested in making the money and don't really care about your learning.

For open water, I remember that you have to demonstrate your swimming skills by swimming several laps non-stop in the pool. This is the minimum requirement. Also agree that you don't need to be an Olympic swimmer to do diving, but the swimming skills can make you feel more confident in the water.

Yes, the water in hk has crappy visibility. But if you can manage to stay calm in such crappy waters, then I assume you will be fine in awesome waters. One of the fears from diving is that u can't see anything.

Then, once you've done open water, you can consider doing your advanced open water outside of hk. Pg is a beautiful place. You can then enjoy the underwater marine life and corals with your existing skills.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Thanks Pin...I talked to MD guys, they said I can go for Scuba Diving only if I can swim continuously for 200 Meters, hmm I doubt !! But I asked him about the price he didnt tell but he was insisting on joining there club blah blah.... Any Idea what will be the cost of the course around ?? But yeah it sounded like they are more professional and they want you to be confident in water and enjoy the dive...
    The test is free of cost but then I dont want to feel embarrassed if I will not be able to swim for 200 meters
    I need to go and meet in person to get the cost If you have a clue share with me, Right now I need to make myself swim for 200 meters anyways which seems like a big target....

My wife and I learnt to dive with Splash here in HK last summer over four days spread over four weekends (owing to a passing typhoon). I have nothing but praise for Darren and his crew who are extremely safety orientated and thorough. If you can spare the time in HK at the weekends in the summer - and you'll need to make some fairly early starts to get up to Ma On Shan and Sai Kung for 9 am or so - then you'll get a really good grounding in diving. Otherwise by all means do your course out at the resort in the Philippines, Malaysia or Indonesia, but bear in mind that a good part of your holiday is going to be spent watching videos or writing tests. And of course if you, or your dive buddy, find that you get a squeeze in your ear and have consistent problems equalizing your ear pressure to the growing water pressure at depth, then money spent on a diving holiday is money thrown away.

Getting into Sai Kung early in the morning will be fine.

The problem may be getting out, especially after 4.30 pm and especially from 6 pm onwards.

jrkob likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm not a diver, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. A friend started diving a very young age and is now a marine biologist. I think it's great to encourage girls to do something like diving, and maybe foster an interest in science. I hope she can get it, if not at 10, then sometime soon! (I've fallen in love with the marine life you see in Asia, and even in HK! Hope to get qualified as a diver once I get bored of snorkeling.)

Has anyone had experience with Eco Marine for PADI training? I haven't seen it mentioned on the other threads, but I know the guy that runs it is devoted to HK's ecosystem conservation and using dive training as a way to earn money to go towards his conservation efforts. Well worth checking out:
    The PADI Openwater Course | | Eco MarineEco Marine

Has anyone been diving or snorkeling at Tung Ping Chau? There's some amazing corals there!
    jrkob likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast