Like Tree15Likes

Scuba Diving - Recommeded School/s

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Yeah, they're working with the WWF to run the Coastal Watch survey, which is collecting data to better understand our marine debris (and there is a lot of it!). I think it's funded as part of the EPD's Environment Conservation Fund. It was from him that I learned about the perils of straws and the damage they're causing on our beaches.

The local BSAC club is here, which an experienced diver once highly recommended to me: South China Diving Club | Scuba Diving in Hong Kong
    jrkob likes this.

I think Splash run the pool training and theory at Li Po Chun College which is more Ma On Shan ( Wu Kai Sha) rather than having to trek to Sai Kung itself. There shouldn't be many traffic problems there but you may need to bring your own lunch and refreshments.

And Splash are a good company. I did a refresher course with them earlier in the year and my god! They're very thorough. I had to learn to do dive/ decompression calculations again!

jrkob likes this.

I wouldn't worry about the cost either way. Quality of instruction is the most important thing, followed by the conditions for the open water parts - in my view.

I don't know either instructors so can't advise on that. I would strongly suspect your daughter would enjoy diving more at Boracay and be inspired to continue there.

I'm not familiar with ISS but the PADI 'qualification' is really rock bottom for bare minimum you need to start diving. After your four open water dives you're not really in any shape to go diving without an experienced buddy/professional to look after you.

Personally speaking, I started to get comfortable in the water around dive 20, confident around dive 50 and more confident around dive 200. From what I'm observed in a decade diving in Asia is that my experience is not atypical. I've only ever seen one diver halfway passable in the water after completing basic OW training.

www.scubaboard.com is a great forum.
    jrkob likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    , diving lessons and a cat, it sounds like you're a great dad.

I would think no one ever, ever dives alone. It's just not the kind of thing you do alone and would never want to.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm not sure if there are different rules for children, but one instructor can handle several adult divers - the two of you should be fine. I expect you'll want to dive alongside your daughter anyway.

Your colleague is right, a 7mm wetsuit can be difficult to get in and out of and does restrict movement somewhat. Given the sea temps (29 now) I would get your daughter a 3mm or 5mm shorty - half length legs/arms. These are easier to get in and out of and should be warm enough - you won't be doing hour long dives anyway.

For reference I dive in just shorts and rashguard in that water temp, though I know many divers - especially girls - prefer a wetsuit

TheBrit probably knows best, but actually wouldn't a full length (arms & legs) be better to protect against sea urchins and jelly fish?

You don't stick your forearms or calves into sea urchins (you shouldn't be touching the bottom anyway). Most sea urchin stings are from swimmers who tread on them while in the shallows. Don't know any divers who have ever been hurt by an urchin when diving!

As for jellyfish, I've never been stung on a few hundred dives. In the rare times you see them diving, it's easy to avoid them.

I would say 1.5mm is probably a bit thin as your daughter feels the cold. You can get custom-fit wetsuits made fairly easily though, and would be cheap for a ten year old.She can pick the panel colours etc too if she is into that type of thing.

Try Pro-Dive in Wanchai (opposite the MTR on Lockhard Rd) or Adventure Diving in Causebay Way

Diving Adventure

Another option is ordering through here

Hotwave Wetsuits Phuket, Thailand

Three of my four wetsuits have been ordered from these three places, the fourth was in Japan so not so useful I guess.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast