Like Tree11Likes

Finding a Gym

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Finding a Gym

Hi guys!

I searched a bunch, but most posts I found were pretty old.

I moved recently to Hong Kong and I'm currently living in Mong Kok. I'm awaiting my work visa and possible have another 3-4 weeks to go. I gained a bunch of weight after traveling for so long and not working out properly, so while I have a bunch of free time, I thought it would be a good idea to get ahead before I start working.

I was looking into joining a gym. I don't care how fancy it is, or if it has a swimming pool etc. All I need is some free weights and a treadmill. Running outside in Hong Kong feels kind of impossible.

I went to Cali Fitness, but they quoted me 1,500HK$ for a month membership, which seems insane at just under $200 for a month. I went to Pure Fitness and they said 2,500HK$, which is ridiculous. I tried to barter both times as both me and my girlfriend are going to join, and they seem to tell you different things and different places even though its the same chain, but a different location.

I checked out Franco's Gym and despite the gym equipment looking in terrible condition, I wouldn't of minded. I asked how much it was to join there and he just said "how many personal training sessions do you want??!"
    I don't need or want a personal trainer and he said he doesn't allow people to train by themselves... what the? Plus his prices are insane. I understand Hong Kong is expensive, but wow.

I don't mind heading to Prince Edward or Yau Ma Tei to find something. My building doesn't have a gym and we wont move for longer than my visa is going to take. I don't particularly want to commit to a year contract. I'd happily pay a little more if I'm paying monthly vs a year contract. I just want some free weights and a treadmill.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Take a look here before you go further ..

LCSD - Fitness Rooms - Introduction

No barbells at LCSD gyms and usually the dumbells only go up to 60 lbs.

Jamiehere likes this.

Thanks for the reply. I'll go check out the one in Mong Kok tomorrow.

Any other suggestions, as the barbells are quite light there?

As far as I have been able to tell, all of the commercial gyms in HK are geared towards 12+ month memberships, so anything short term is going to be very expensive. I've ONCE heard of someone getting a one month membership at a Fitness First for non-insane prices, but I have no idea how she managed it.

The government gyms that I have seen seem to have really lame weights areas, and need some kind of signup/certification process that needs to be booked in advance.

If you have any friends with access to clubhouse gyms, you could try sneak in on their cards. Very occasionally gyms run cheap try-out drives for a month or more (Waterfall and Physical have done so in the last year) but they happen very rarely and are a bit hard to find out about.

Otherwise I would suggest that you just try MTFU and run through the heat- lots of other people manage to do it this time of year.

Last edited by jgl; 31-05-2015 at 01:07 AM.

The new thing in HK is 24-hour gyms, sans contract. I'll post a link later, unless someone else would like to do the honors...

Yes please.

I'm going to check out the LCSD gym tomorrow as I don't have time today. These replies are really helpful!

Hey Jay, any chance for the link?

I went to the LCSD fitness room today in Mong Kok. You have to finish the classes and they take either 3 hours for one, or 11 hours of a personal trainer. Which is really annoying.

While the gym has relatively new equipment (I was surprised), there isn't much there. I went at 3pm and the gym was full on all cardio machines. The weight area was free, but there is only 1 bench for dumbbell weights and no bench press (barbells).

I think the gym is pretty limited and mostly only old folks work out there. So I decided not to join there right now.

I was praying for a gym that costs 500HK$ or less that at least has a bench press so I can bench, bent over rows, overhead press and deadlift. I was going to figure another way to work legs instead of squatting as I think finding a gym with a squat rack for that price in Hong Kong is pretty impossible.

THis is one of the 24 hour places mentioned earlier.

Anytime Fitness Gyms Hong Kong, Kowloon City Fitness Centers Hong Kong

Claire ex-ax and jgl like this.

Thanks a lot! I'm surprised about how helpful this forum is!

I'll go check out this place tomorrow. It seems about a 20-30 minutes walk from where I am right now. Possibly much less!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast