Like Tree12Likes

Best public swimming pools

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best public swimming pools

I would be interested to hear recommendations for some of the "best" public LCSD swimming pools available anywhere in the HKSAR, in terms of pool size, year round opening, crowds and new-ness of the facilities.

Thoughts welcome. Thanks

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

None are open all year, as they obviously have to close for maintenance. Sun Yat, Ho Man Tin, Kowloon Park, and Morrison Hill (off the top of my head) have indoor pools so are open for about 10 months of the year. Sun Yat is only a couple of years old.

All information is on the LCSD website.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 23-07-2015 at 02:17 PM.

really depends on what you want...

laps?
    splashing about with kids?
    lounging by the pool in the sunshine?

I only know Kennedy Town and Sun Yat Sen pools, here are my notes:

Kennedy Town
    - small, as only phase 1 has been completed
    - not good for laps
    - fully outdoor
    - has a kids splashing pool
    - tends to be less crowded than Sun Yat Sen
    - clean, it's quite new too

Sun Yat Sen
    - has two pools, one for adults, one for kids (but it's a pool, not a splashing area..)
    - fully indoor, so don't expect to get a tan while swimming - there are outdoor sunbeds however
    - get's quite crowded
    - clean, it's a couple of years old

z754103 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

In the SCMP from two weeks ago:

You may not want to read this if you’re sitting down to a meal. On Sunday, the Mui Wo public swimming pool had to be closed temporarily for cleaning “following the discovery of a small amount of faeces in the pool”, according to the government.

The next day, the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park swimming pool in Central and Western District also required some serious disinfection “following the discovery of a small amount of faeces in the training pool and a small amount of vomitus in the main pool”.

It's happened six times so far this year. Last year there were 19 such repugnant incidents prompting the closure of 10 public pools.
    Pooing in the pool: a reflection of the uncivilised among us in Hong Kong | South China Morning Post

Haha!

Sai Kung has a nice outdoor swim area. One, perhaps 2 pools, for kids with slides, etc. One big one for laps, etc. Not too deep though. Closed each day 6-7pm ? for cleaning. Closed during winter, but otherwise quite ok, and folks round here don't use the pool as a toilet.

Frankly, i prefer to swim in the sea, but not in the SK harbor.

ttcookie and timolee2012 like this.

i think you can assume all outdoor pools will be crowded when it is hot, and not crowded when it is raining or a typhoon is here.
    most indoor pools are crowded year round. we usually get to the pool at 7 am. the crowd does come in until 10ish.

for kids, hammerhill road is the best. cheap parking right out the front. ma on shan was nice but not worth the extra distance for us.

Infinity pool

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Honestly, the pools are so unbelievably hot in Hong Kong, even they aren't pleasant in the summer!!! It's hard to do laps because you feel your body heating up, and the water isn't doing it's part to cool you down! Yet another fun summer activity down the drain in Hong Kong's hot summer.

Michael Tsang and Open Casket like this.

Apart from Phase 2 of the Kennedy Town swimming pool, do any of the other pools have a Jacuzzi?

Tai po swimming pool have Jacuzzi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast