Like Tree10Likes

Running in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Check out the Meetups forums <hong-kong.meetup.com> for running/hiking/marathon training etc etc.

HK is extremely good for trail running - I found training for a road marathon a little more challenging as there were limited options for flat mileage training. However I run throughout the year and my slow summer slogs pay-off when humidity and temperature drop off in September as you find your speed and stamina massively improve.

Check out Action Asia Events and also Seyonasia.com

Well, I ended up doing the marathon out here anyway. Hadn't trained as much as I wanted at all, and really just did it to finish. Could have struggled on for a sub 4:00, but have a few already so was happy enough with my time (4:01). It's a pretty badly organised marathon though; not nearly enough toilets at start line, no pacers, etc.....will still do it again next year, and hopefully I'll finally be able to break sub 3:40.

Haven't done anything (apart from a few short runs) since then, rapidly losing fitness. Really need to get back into it before the humidity comes roaring back. My first run in HK was 34 degrees and 90% humidity (on my second day here). I managed 6km and thought I was gonna pass out.

huja and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorer:
    Well, I ended up doing the marathon out here anyway. Hadn't trained as much as I wanted at all, and really just did it to finish. Could have struggled on for a sub 4:00, but have a few already so was happy enough with my time (4:01). It's a pretty badly organised marathon though; not nearly enough toilets at start line, no pacers, etc.....will still do it again next year, and hopefully I'll finally be able to break sub 3:40.

Haven't done anything (apart from a few short runs) since then, rapidly losing fitness. Really need to get back into it before the humidity comes roaring back. My first run in HK was 34 degrees and 90% humidity (on my second day here). I managed 6km and thought I was gonna pass out.
    Roger that. I hadn't encountered such humidity until I got here. Running in 95% humidity for 6 months is a real p.i.a. for me. I hate it. Resort to treadmill for a lot of training - which I also hate.
    Some runners from less humid climes seem to get used to it but I guess it takes a number of years. I ran a fast session with a group in Happy Valley RC back in August which left me dangerously breathless and almost palpitating for the first time in my life. I reverted to treadmill after that for anything faster than jogging pace.
    Running outside (since October) now is such a joy. I am making the most of it until mid April. :-)
    Last edited by alanjg; 25-02-2016 at 12:46 AM.
    smiley1 likes this.

For the summer months just:
    - pick places that are shaded...I wouldnt run section 7 of the hk trail or other very exposed sections of the vatious trails. Just pick places that are covered
    - run early. When I trained for UTMB and UTMF last year I used to wake up at 445 and be out at 5 am and back at 630 before it gets too hot. Saturdays I would start at 5 or 6 am amd finish my run by 11 or noon
    - water. Carry lots of it
    - speed...obviously not the time of the year for a PB so u train differently....hill repeats...downill technique or just long slow run.
    - pick places you never went to amd make it an adventure where time doesnt matter but u still spend lots of time on u feet...Sharp Peak..Dog's teeth all these places are great as u wont go fast but will built muscles etc and spend lots of time on your feet.

Anyway happy running

hktraveller and smiley1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    - pick places that are shaded...I wouldnt run section 7 of the hk trail or other very exposed sections of the vatious trails. Just pick places that are covered
    - run early. When I trained for UTMB and UTMF last year I used to wake up at 445 and be out at 5 am and back at 630 before it gets too hot. Saturdays I would start at 5 or 6 am amd finish my run by 11 or noon
    - speed...obviously not the time of the year for a PB so u train differently....hill repeats...downill technique or just long slow run.
    - pick places you never went to amd make it an adventure where time doesnt matter but u still spend lots of time on u feet...Sharp Peak..Dog's teeth all these places are great as u wont go fast but will built muscles etc and spend lots of time on your feet.

Anyway happy running
    I enjoy doing long distances over night in summer. And yes, much slower than in winter. Double Au (MacLehose 3 to 8 ) may take 12 hours at times.

Anyway happy running
    all your points here are good (except maybe the 4:45 am one!)
    but i supsect it all also depends on what else a person does during the summer. because yeah, i sweat a ton in the summer heat, but i still do what i want to do and still go where i want to go. i'll do pat sing leng in july if it's where i want to go. i'm guessing that's because during the summer i still spend a lot of time outdoors when not running.
    if you spend most of your time indoors in the AC, then going outdoors to run/hike is going to be tougher than if you're overall used to the dry cool temps of an office or a shopping mall.

also, lots of people have said this before, but the running backpack with a bladder mostly filled with water that's been frozen ahead of time can make a huge difference.
    smiley1 likes this.

Re water - yes sorry forgot to mention, I usually freeze the bottles overnight so that when I go on long runs...after 2 hours the water is still fresh kinda.

Ah 4.45Am is hard the first few times, after that it feels normal :-)

Agree with Pat Sing Leng and all but was just saying if you want to avoid the heat you can pick places that are shadded.

OH one thing I do also is plan routes that will allow me to cross rivers and or finish by the sea for a big nice swim after or in the middle! always good!

Bob Loblaw likes this.

OH one thing I do also is plan routes that will allow me to cross rivers and or finish by the sea for a big nice swim after or in the middle! always good!

yeah, agreed. esp since on some of those runs, you're already so drenched by the time you get to the river it's not like your shoes are any wetter after you cool yourself down.