Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By smiley1

beginner looking to join an amateur rugby team

beginner looking to join an amateur rugby team

i'm an absolute beginner in rugby. I've only ever played with friends in parks, but never in an organised team. I would really like to pick it up proper and join some amateur team that has regular practices and games.

i'm rather small (around 5"8) and I play many other sports so I'd like to think I have a decent level of fitness...

if anyone here plays in a team or knows of a team that wouldn't mind taking on a beginner, please let me know. it would be very much appreciated.

cheers,
    dave

how old are you and where do you live?

Make sure you're absolutely able to dig deep; most clubs need you to join extremely expensive clubs (HKCC etc.) before you can become a member; don't forget the cost of kit, tours, subs, Rugby 7s etc. No sports club here likes playing with minimum wage earners. Also be prepared to drink yourself to a demented stupor because the only way your teammates will like you is if you/they are drunk. Being elitist is the quickest way to endear yourself to them.

Last edited by angeluscomplex; 01-10-2015 at 01:00 AM.

Not true angeluscomplex. Most clubs are very reasonable (a few hundred bucks a year to cover admin) and have rugby to suit all levels and abilities. The 'expensive' clubs you mention heavily subsidise joining costs to new members as long as you play and support the club. There is a social side to rugby but it is entirely voluntary and there is no pressure to join in.

Here is a list of clubs - have a look through and see which one suits you:
    http://www.hkrugbyregistration.com/

Last edited by smiley1; 02-10-2015 at 04:20 PM.
    rathunt and shri like this.

thanks. i'll have a look. any one you'd recommend that has a good number of teams of varying levels?

I would suggest one that is convenient to where you live and has training times that suit your schedule. Perhaps even give a couple a try and see which one feels most comfortable. If you do not know anyone it can be a bit daunting at first but the first step is always the hardest

If you work or live on island side, a Hong Kong rugby club that has a good local and expat mix is SCAA Causeway Bay Rugby. We are strictly amateur, playing in the national leagues 1 through 5 as well as all women's leagues. We are affiliated with South China Athletic Association and our director of rugby is a former international player with Level 3 coaching accreditation as well as a certified coach educator.

www.facebook.com/CausewayBayRFC

http://www.scaacwbrugby.com