Like Tree20Likes

Which Gym? - New to HK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I would point out that the HK definition of "hardcore musclehead" would have to be reinterpreted as "completely average gym user" in any Western city

Hm...not sure I agree with you on that - hardcore muscleheads in Hong Kong are running cycles, actively competing and are constantly counting macros and BF%. Not exactly average

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Hm...not sure I agree with you on that - hardcore muscleheads in Hong Kong are running cycles, actively competing and are constantly counting macros and BF%. Not exactly average
    Ah, but that's probably a reflection on your own personal standards than anything else

Think about it this way, if you're an 50 percentile free weights user in Vancouver/Sydney/(pick whatever your home city is), what percentile does that place you in Hong Kong. And when I say Hong Kong, I don't mean TF or some gym that's hugely skewed towards lifting. I mean compare it to the average user in Pure/FF/Cali.

Oh, and not only on a strength comparison, but on form and technique. Just about every bloody big chain gym I've been to in HK is full of people doing quarter to half ranges of motion.

My comment to East was obviously a joke, but there was some truth to it, which can be seen in the thread replies about how hard it is to find decent weight equipment in gyms here.
    Last edited by jgl; 22-11-2015 at 08:53 AM.

You all are awesome - all wonderful insights and recommendations. Glad to know the normal HKer doesn't wake up at 6am to gym. In the states, I went to 24 hr fitness...had to get to the gym before 5am to get a squat rack. I'm by no means hardcore, but when you have a workout partner, there's this next level of commitment.

One of of the post mentioned that some of the PT are clearly on the juice. I gotta go in and see this ha.

Think I'll to look at physical first...anyone has a contact I could call or msg that could get a good rate? My gf has physical but she spent several hours negotiating - something I'd like to avoid.

Again thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it!!

most of the so called muscle heads you see in HK are full on Steroids, and have Chicken legs, couldn't run 100 meters to save their own life. Try U Time, open 24/7 and month by month contract so no bs like physical and california.

jayinhongkong likes this.

Or if possible find a place that has it's own gym. They're usually not used anyway and very clean, with no PTs to bother you.

I live in Tin shui wai NT, found a Gym which has enought weights equipment to suit me. But as I don't speak chinese I can't get a look in. I've applied 4 times an after the last one they rang me which was a waste of time, said they would write me after Wifey son spoke with them lol...

Anyone know of a gym that might suit plz let me know, cheers...

if you are looking for proper squat racks, forget about the commercial gyms in the likes of fitness first or Cali. What I use is Epic MMA club which has 4 stand alone power racks as well as a few rigs for crossfit. They are big in BJJ, Boxing/Muay Thai and crossfit. As far as lifting is concerned, they have more than enough proper Rouge bars and bumper plates since they are also a crossfit box.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWarm:
    You all are awesome - all wonderful insights and recommendations. Glad to know the normal HKer doesn't wake up at 6am to gym. In the states, I went to 24 hr fitness...had to get to the gym before 5am to get a squat rack. I'm by no means hardcore, but when you have a workout partner, there's this next level of commitment.

One of of the post mentioned that some of the PT are clearly on the juice. I gotta go in and see this ha.

Think I'll to look at physical first...anyone has a contact I could call or msg that could get a good rate? My gf has physical but she spent several hours negotiating - something I'd like to avoid.

Again thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it!!
    I'm a member of Anytime Fitness in SYP as jay mentioned. Equipment is ok - they've got everything you want, just not a lot of it. I used to go around 0500-0730 and it's dead. Sometimes one other person using the treadmill or a private PT lesson. Even after work around 1900-2000 you'll easily get a bench/rack/cable.

Never been bothered by a PT once, quite friendly staff actually. Facilities are literally just 3 toilets and 3 showers.

Think membership is around $600pm when I asked, not sure if negotiable and what terms as I'm a member from the UK. Try to join abroad as much cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Huan Liu:
    if you are looking for proper squat racks, forget about the commercial gyms in the likes of fitness first or Cali. What I use is Epic MMA club which has 4 stand alone power racks as well as a few rigs for crossfit. They are big in BJJ, Boxing/Muay Thai and crossfit. As far as lifting is concerned, they have more than enough proper Rouge bars and bumper plates since they are also a crossfit box.
    Can you sign up to this place just to use the equipment, or do you have to sign up to their classes?

Yeah the cross fit/ciruit training places are a great idea if you are hard core about fitness. I doubt they open when classes are not in session though. Probably easier to just call them (probably speak english since it's not really a local thing I would suppose).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast