Like Tree5Likes

Seeking windsurfers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Our class at Stanley Main Beach did not do very well on Tuesday. We had F4-5 winds all day and big waves. Four of us managed to get out into open water where our course was setup, the rest never made it very far from the shore.

I was lucky enough to manage to get my sail up and beat to weather. After falling in about fifty times I felt like I was beginning to get the hang of tacking on rough seas. I was a lot less successful in gybing under those conditions. I also managed to get the board planing, which was probably the most exciting moment of my windsurfing career to date. I'm getting the feeling I'm going to be a big wind addict.

I'm on my way to Stanley Main Beach again this morning. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Last edited by alwayssummer; 18-03-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Interesting experience

Forgot to write back in. My class was quite challenging to me...

(Mar19-20th) First half of day 1 no wind, and mist/fog/poor visibility .. Cleared up by afternoon, so got a few hours in. Next day was clear all day, with mild winds. I sucked big time! Fell into the ocean about 30-40 times both days (slightly better day 2).

Managed to clear the assessment, though I have no confidence I can do it again!

Probably need another beginner course!

But all in all it was a great experience (though my entire body was complaining the next day), and thanks to OP!

Quote Originally Posted by Apjace:
    ...Fell into the ocean about 30-40 times both days (slightly better day 2) ... Managed to clear the assessment, though I have no confidence I can do it again! Probably need another beginner course!
    Thanks for sharing and congrats on passing your course!

Falling in a lot is just a normal part of the learning process. We all fell in a lot in the beginner course. You'll have some of that each time you move on to more challenging conditions. When I moved up to larger (6m2) soft sails I would find that my back hurt a lot from hauling up the sail so many times in one day.

Now that you've passed the class you can go practice and get better any time you like. Check the wind in the morning and start at flatter sites like Wong Shek and Tai Mei Tuk. As long as you put in the board time you will definitely improve. If you're out on the board and having fun, you don't need another class. However, I would recommend signing up for the clinics. I did not and I think it made the intermediate class much more difficult to pass.

Post here if you're planning to go out, maybe we can run into each other out there!
    Last edited by alwayssummer; 04-04-2016 at 12:19 AM.

Anyone is still doing windsurfing?
    I have passed the basic windsurfing level training.
    However, it seems most courses are full in summer for basic/intermediate.

If anyone else is interested, we could rent the equipments and practice on our own.

I would like to propose either 23 July ( Sat) or 24 July (Sun)

Quote Originally Posted by Ishqiya:
    Anyone is still doing windsurfing?
    I have passed the basic windsurfing level training.
    However, it seems most courses are full in summer for basic/intermediate.

If anyone else is interested, we could rent the equipments and practice on our own.

I would like to propose either 23 July ( Sat) or 24 July (Sun)
    Summer classes definitely fill up much faster, doubly so on weekends. I'm not in HK right now or I would be down.

just want to bump up this thread. Anyone here windsurf? I to took the lcsd windsurf class level one a few years ago. And I had some free time recently to log about 30 hours, and starting to really like the sport. Just want to connect with like minded people here. I usually go to Stanley or St Stevens

I also just passed the intermediate level recently

Michael,

I am trying to take the intermediate class in June. The class seems quite popular, maybe I can register for a class held on weekdays during open enrollment.

I usually go out to Stanley or St Stevens on Sat or Sun morning. I was at St Stevens last Sat, and was pretty happy to make it back to the beach with strong offshore wind blowing. Couple of more advanced friends said I should be ready for the intermediate class. But they mentioned that it may take several tries to pass depending on wind conditions.

Please PM me if you like to go windsurfing together sometimes.

Thanks, but I don't have much free time now because I currently have a full time job, and usually sail in Saturday afternoon if the weather forecast in the morning is good enough.

I will be at St. Stevens beach this Saturday for the morning session, if anyone likes to join.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast