Like Tree11Likes

Fitness First price - this is what they are quoting me ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I was quoted $748/month (12-month contract) over the phone for their "corporate rate", plus $600 admin/joining fee (not sure which one). Doesn't sound like much of a discount at all. I'm mainly interested in the Hopewell Centre location, but the membership includes other locations.

I'm going to check out the gym tonight. Not sure how I can negotiate.

Quote Originally Posted by GMoney:
    I was quoted $748/month (12-month contract) over the phone for their "corporate rate", plus $600 admin/joining fee (not sure which one). Doesn't sound like much of a discount at all. I'm mainly interested in the Hopewell Centre location, but the membership includes other locations.

I'm going to check out the gym tonight. Not sure how I can negotiate.
    That is the one I am also interested in. Please report back

Quote Originally Posted by SannyJ:
    That is the one I am also interested in. Please report back
    I dropped by the FF @ Hopewell yesterday at 7:15pm and met Matthew with whom I spoke over phone earlier in the day. Very nice guy who lived in the UK. Obviously, he's there to sell, and he knows I know how it all works.

Matt gave me a tour. Not a very big space because it's occupying a single floor in Hopewell. Coming from Singapore's spacious True Fitness gym, it surprised me to see how compact the entire gym is. It looked as if all the cardio and weight machines were touching each other. Wasn't a lot of open spaces at all. But thinking about it after, this is HK after all, and space is a premium.

All the machines look new and very state-of-the-art. I forget the brand (Life Fitness?), but it's one that's very high end and popular across chains and nicer hotel gyms. Lots of treadmills, and despite the large after-work crowd, there were empty cardio machines. Beside that is the spinning class. Beside the spinning class is an open (not very big) space for PT, TRX, yoga, etc. Past that is the weight training equipment section. They definitely have one of every machine in the catalogue, but again, all tightly placed next to each other. Saw an older uncle training with flip-flops on (why didn't the staff didn't say anything?).

There's one room next to the weight training section. When I was there, a yoga class was in session. They looked like Tetris pieces or sardines, but each person did have enough space. FF doesn't do advance bookings, but Matthew says there's usually always space for all walk-ins.

I never change at the gym. I prefer to change/shower at home. The men's changing room, however, was surprisingly very clean with no foul smells! Very impressed. You get a locker key (RFID) every visit which you use to lock/unlock your designated (and spacious) locker. You can also rent a private (smaller) locker.

And the usual: towels (small and large), water, coffee, wifi, etc... even clothes if you don't have your own.

I didn't try hard to negotiate. I guess my "corporate rate" is already pretty decent. The admin fee is $200, half of the usual $400. The other fee, which is $738, is basically forcing you to do 1 health assessment (similar to PT) and 2 PT sessions. If you complete all three within the first 2 months, and you visit the gym for a total of 8 times per month for the first 2 months, then you qualify to ask (make sure you proactively ask) for a rebate of $338 towards your next month's bill. Essentially, you're paying $200 + $400 + monthly.

I did sign up, because I desperately need to get back into the routine, and my condo gym is a joke (but only $10/visit).

Hi lads,

This isn't related to Fitness First but I'd appreciate some advice. After major negotiating with staff in Physical gym, I managed to get 5 months for $2,940 so about $588/month.

The only problem is they are telling me that head office won't approve this so they want me to pay it all up front, where I will then get 3.5 months under one membership number, while they will give me another membership number for the last 1.5 months.

I'm happy enough to pay that amount, but only in HK a couple of weeks so unsure whether to trust them that after paying all that up front, I will get my final 1.5 months membership when my 3.5 months is up.

Anyone have any similar experience?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IrishExpat:
    Hi lads,

This isn't related to Fitness First but I'd appreciate some advice. After major negotiating with staff in Physical gym, I managed to get 5 months for $2,940 so about $588/month.

The only problem is they are telling me that head office won't approve this so they want me to pay it all up front, where I will then get 3.5 months under one membership number, while they will give me another membership number for the last 1.5 months.

I'm happy enough to pay that amount, but only in HK a couple of weeks so unsure whether to trust them that after paying all that up front, I will get my final 1.5 months membership when my 3.5 months is up.

Anyone have any similar experience?

Thanks
    Sounds shady as fcuk.
    Cwbguy, JAherbert and rathunt like this.

Second pin's well thought out opinion.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

FF caught me out years ago by getting me to pay up front. Shame on me. I should have know better. I do know better.

Physical always ask for upfront, it is not about the head office.
    Fitness First always have the option for monthly payments.

Physical are doing my head in at the moment. Last month they wanted 5600 to renew my membership for all locations. This month they want 6800 for one location. I actually like the Physical gym at Causeway Bay but this random pricing is just so annoying. I only paid 3300 last year for 12 months. I'm thinking of letting it expire and see if they have better deals in January? There are only really 2 choices in Wan Chai/Causeway Bay, Physical or Fitness First. Pure is crazy expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldPom:
    Physical are doing my head in at the moment. Last month they wanted 5600 to renew my membership for all locations. This month they want 6800 for one location. I actually like the Physical gym at Causeway Bay but this random pricing is just so annoying. I only paid 3300 last year for 12 months. I'm thinking of letting it expire and see if they have better deals in January? There are only really 2 choices in Wan Chai/Causeway Bay, Physical or Fitness First. Pure is crazy expensive.

What is the good about Physical fitness? I used to workout there but I just feel it is not good enough...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast