Like Tree11Likes

Fitness First price - this is what they are quoting me ...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eminemkh:
    What is the good about Physical fitness? I used to workout there but I just feel it is not good enough...
    Probably more "better the devil you know" than anything else! No one tries to sell me any extras there and its not too busy in the morning. An extra squat rack and bench press would be nice, but isn't everywhere a bit cramped?

Plus when I joined, it was the cheapest in town!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldPom:
    Probably more "better the devil you know" than anything else! No one tries to sell me any extras there and its not too busy in the morning. An extra squat rack and bench press would be nice, but isn't everywhere a bit cramped?

Plus when I joined, it was the cheapest in town!
    The price is good that is very true...

This is a great thread. Guess I'll update my experience as i just joined the gym.

$748/month for all locations except Exchang Sq.
    Or
    $888/month to include Exchange Sq. Location

My rep told me to start with $748, if i want to upgrade in the future, he can do that for me. And he'll give me 2 passes to go to exchange square to try out whether i want to upgrade or not.

Admin. Fee now $700, and that's AFTER the $338 Rebate on condition i complete 3 Free personal training session and go to the gym 8x/month for the first 2 months.

Tried to negotiate the admin. Fee.down but he wouldn't budge; instead he threw in 15 days (1/2 month for "almost" free ($25hkd) before my membership officially begins. That's sort of lowering the admin fee another $374 (1/2 month worth of membership), so i feel better about it.

They also threw in either a shoe bag or backpack for free. I chose the shoe bag.

Last edited by HKCanadianMom; 16-06-2017 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Added details that i missed

I know this is an old post, but I'll share my recent experience as of today (20.09.2017) to give anyone an idea of the joining fee and such.

Physical Fitness:
    1 year contract - HKD350 per month, had to pay all up front.
    Nothing else included, some equipment not accessible unless you pay for "personal trainer"/salesmen.
    Up to 22 locations in Hong Kong.

Fitness First:
    1 year contract - HKD748 per month, monthly installments + 325 joining/admin fee.
    - Better gym equipment, cleaner shower, free towel hire, free gym clothes hire, free tea/coffee, all free classes(yoga, spinning, body pump etc.) at the cost of a higher monthly fee. 7 to 9 locations in Hong Kong.

Like HKCanadianMom mentioned above, they quoted me for HKD748 per month for a 1 year contract (all locations except for Sheraton in TST and exchange square in central), HKD708 for 2 years contract, I chose the former. No need to sign up for another year after the contract ends, just one month notice to quit after the first year has ended.
    After some haggling, my joining/admin fee was lowered from HKD738 down to HKD325. They also threw in a free backpack.
    But someone who also recently joined told me that they got the almost the same deal but with 2 backpacks, 2 shoe bags and 2 cinema tickets as well! I guess it all depends on their moods and how you haggle.
    His advice is to sign up towards the end of each month when the sales rep tries to hit their target, you might just get a slightly better deal.

According to this forum and my mates who joined Fitness First, the monthly fee is always between HKD700-750. However, the joining/admin fee is fluctuated, try and haggle this.

PS. Physical in Central/Sheung Wan was recently renovated, downsized this location from 3 floors to 1 floor, like most gyms, after work hours are always packed, but with the downsizing, the weight training area is now ridiculously small, hence why I left when my contract was up. Tsuen Wan has the only spacious Physical gym.

After 2 years of Physical Fitness, Fitness First is definitely a much better gym at the cost of a higher price.

Most importantly, if you are new to fitness, be careful of the sales tactics of ALL Hong Kong gym personal trainers/salesmen, they would say things like "you're not doing it right or your form is bad" etc, give you a few pointers, then take your credit cards and sign up for lessons unwillingly / unknowingly (yes, it still happening after Califonia Fitness!).
    And most of them are not even fit themselves! Most if not more of their knowledge can be found online/youtube anyway.

Workout is fun, after the battle of joining a Hong Kong gym, good luck!

WMDS, pin, HK_Katherine and 1 others like this.

Hey, this has been a very helpful thread - as a Canadian planning to a move to HK, some of the info. here is an eye-opener.

Discarding Pure (because of $ though it sounds like the best), it seems my options are either Physical or FItness First.
    I will be staying in North Point for a few months to start and I'm really looking to have access to a squat rack plus dumbbells up to 100#.

I also play squash but sounds like I need to look elsewhere for that as I doubt courts will be included in either of the two options above.

Any recommendations for someone in my position? Are there any particular deals I should keep an eye out for (ie. free trials, seasonal discounts, corporate code sharing)??

The fitness first north point branch has a squat rack. Not sure if they have 100lb dumbells tho. You can just ask the manager to offer you a tour..

Quote Originally Posted by tothemoon:
    Any recommendations for someone in my position? Are there any particular deals I should keep an eye out for (ie. free trials, seasonal discounts, corporate code sharing)??
    You can probably get a week trial at both chains. Personally I couldn't put up with the revolting bathroom hygiene at Physical (someone gave be a 3 month pass, I had to stop going after the second visit). The FF in North Point is new and worth checking out. The FF in Fortress Hill is terrible if you need weights- the 'weights' area is a poorly planned shambles of equipment that looks like it's been salvaged from other gyms.

There are no seasonal discounts here. Gyms occasionally and rarely go on recruitment drives, but this is unpredictable. If you're at a massive company, you might be able to get a corporate rate, but you'd have to check once you got out here.

Quote Originally Posted by tothemoon:
    Hey, this has been a very helpful thread - as a Canadian planning to a move to HK, some of the info. here is an eye-opener.

Discarding Pure (because of $ though it sounds like the best), it seems my options are either Physical or FItness First.
    I will be staying in North Point for a few months to start and I'm really looking to have access to a squat rack plus dumbbells up to 100#.

I also play squash but sounds like I need to look elsewhere for that as I doubt courts will be included in either of the two options above.

When i joined a year or so ago, it seemed Fitness First and Pure were around similar price ranges (about $700-1000) depending on your package.

Physical is cheaper, but then you have to put up with the hard sell staff, busier gyms, dirtier facilities etc.

RE: CWB FF

Not really brand new, over a year old now. Getting really crowded.

Anyone come across any options for Tuen Mun or Kwai Fong area? I need a gym with classes - they are about the only thing that gets me into a gym and since CalFitness closed in Tuen Mun, I've been without! Went to a Fitness First in BKK last week (it was the hotel gym) and it reminded me how much I prefer classes!