Like Tree8Likes

Adult Ballet for Beginners

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I have to say, considering Hong Kong's focus and love for examinations - I'm sort of happy beginning ballet as an adult. I think a lot of the pressure is taken off, my parents aren't expecting me to pass any examinations in regards to ballet. Lol. I can focus on becoming healthy, and enjoy having an artistic form of expression rather than 'practicing/studying' for the exam.

Examinations ruin so many things in Hong Kong, sadly the area that suffers most seems to be creativity.

I did mention that I wouldn't mind taking it, just to have a goal, but I think ultimately that's not really what I want. I'm finishing up my law degree, and adding additional pressure of passing ballet examinations just seems unnecessary.
    I want to get healthier and gain an artistic way of expressing myself. I don't need a certificate telling me I can do that.
    I might look into APA after I come back from summer, but start with Gravity Ballet.

Are there any other dance studios that come to mind?
    @wahansa I really enjoy your blog. I've been reading it on and off for the past two days. It's very informative. I especially found your article on the Vaganova system fascinating. It seems to me when most people that don't dance ballet think of ballet, they are imagining the Vaganova way of dancing ballet. Or at least that's what I imagined before attending a class...
    I've always thought of ballet as requiring discipline and the Vaganova system seems to reflect that.
    From your article, it seems as though you actually prefer the Vaganova system to RAD. Is this true? Would you recommend an adult beginner to actually start with the this method? Especially since I'm not planning on taking any exams anytime soon. Or would you say that the Vaganova method is most suitable for children starting with ballet?

Last edited by Sweeneykill; 29-05-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Hi Sweeneykill, I agree with what you said about exams. I feel exactly the same way too. And thanks so much for reading my blog. I started blogging about adult ballet in Chinese, about 9 years ago and have made many friends throughout the years, both online and in the studios. I once wrote about the benefits of adults doing ballet and the article has inspired a lot of adults around the world to start ballet. Have a look here: The Benefits of Ballet Lessons for Adults
    When you go to Gravity, you can ask for the absolute beginner classes with Ms Elaine Ng as she really focuses on the basics such as posture, core strength and breaks down the steps in a slow pace.
    With the Vaganova style, it is tricky. It is designed for those who have great physical facilities to begin with, and normally from a young age. It is a very slow, well-designed and systematic way of training. But for adults with "less-than-ideal" body forms, it would be a big challenge and some of the demands would be down right "dangerous" (could lead to injury if not careful). There is a new school called SJB in TST that uses only the Vaganova method for both adults and kids. I have never taken their classes because they're too expensive.
    Really, a great deal depends on the teacher herself/himself. RAD teachers can do a good job breaking down the steps for adults too. One teacher I've had in the past who is good at that is Mei Tsang at Le Studio Ballet. The school has an emphasis on RAD but also provides free classes to adults.
    Good teachers would combine the methods of different schools and not be confined. The teacher I'm having, Ms Eve Yu at Gravity, used to be a principal dancer with the Taipei Chamber Ballet and her style is a combination of different schools but one that I feel is very suitable for me personally.

Have a good start and most important of all, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeneykill:
    I have to say, considering Hong Kong's focus and love for examinations - I'm sort of happy beginning ballet as an adult. I think a lot of the pressure is taken off, my parents aren't expecting me to pass any examinations in regards to ballet. Lol. I can focus on becoming healthy, and enjoy having an artistic form of expression rather than 'practicing/studying' for the exam.

Examinations ruin so many things in Hong Kong, sadly the area that suffers most seems to be creativity.

I did mention that I wouldn't mind taking it, just to have a goal, but I think ultimately that's not really what I want. I'm finishing up my law degree, and adding additional pressure of passing ballet examinations just seems unnecessary.
    I want to get healthier and gain an artistic way of expressing myself. I don't need a certificate telling me I can do that.
    I might look into APA after I come back from summer, but start with Gravity Ballet.

Are there any other dance studios that come to mind?
    @wahansa I really enjoy your blog. I've been reading it on and off for the past two days. It's very informative. I especially found your article on the Vaganova system fascinating. It seems to me when most people that don't dance ballet think of ballet, they are imagining the Vaganova way of dancing ballet. Or at least that's what I imagined before attending a class...
    I've always thought of ballet as requiring discipline and the Vaganova system seems to reflect that.
    From your article, it seems as though you actually prefer the Vaganova system to RAD. Is this true? Would you recommend an adult beginner to actually start with the this method? Especially since I'm not planning on taking any exams anytime soon. Or would you say that the Vaganova method is most suitable for children starting with ballet?

Quote Originally Posted by wahansa:
    Hi Sweeneykill, I agree with what you said about exams. I feel exactly the same way too. And thanks so much for reading my blog. I started blogging about adult ballet in Chinese, about 9 years ago and have made many friends throughout the years, both online and in the studios. I once wrote about the benefits of adults doing ballet and the article has inspired a lot of adults around the world to start ballet. Have a look here: The Benefits of Ballet Lessons for Adults
    When you go to Gravity, you can ask for the absolute beginner classes with Ms Elaine Ng as she really focuses on the basics such as posture, core strength and breaks down the steps in a slow pace.
    With the Vaganova style, it is tricky. It is designed for those who have great physical facilities to begin with, and normally from a young age. It is a very slow, well-designed and systematic way of training. But for adults with "less-than-ideal" body forms, it would be a big challenge and some of the demands would be down right "dangerous" (could lead to injury if not careful). There is a new school called SJB in TST that uses only the Vaganova method for both adults and kids. I have never taken their classes because they're too expensive.
    Really, a great deal depends on the teacher herself/himself. RAD teachers can do a good job breaking down the steps for adults too. One teacher I've had in the past who is good at that is Mei Tsang at Le Studio Ballet. The school has an emphasis on RAD but also provides free classes to adults.
    Good teachers would combine the methods of different schools and not be confined. The teacher I'm having, Ms Eve Yu at Gravity, used to be a principal dancer with the Taipei Chamber Ballet and her style is a combination of different schools but one that I feel is very suitable for me personally.

Have a good start and most important of all, enjoy!
    Thanks so much! I'll get in touch with someone at Gravity Ballet and see what they say. I'm very excited.
    It does seem like the Vaganova method is aimed at young ballet dancers, not for adults just starting out.
    Would you recommend classes twice a week? Or once?

I think Gravity Ballet is a good place too! I did not take a class there but I like the girls who teach there - we were together as stage extras in the Bolshoi production of Flames of Paris last year :-)

I had tried many schools, all of them on the HK Island. And I suggest you do try a few. Of all the schools I tried, the one with the largest focus on technique and the best explanation at Le Studio Ballet Le Studio Ballet - Hong Kong | 芭蕾舞學校, 成人芭蕾舞, 芭蕾舞, 幼兒教育, 跳舞, ballet, hong kong ballet, dance, art school,fitness center, ballet school . The teachers at the Russian Ballet School are not good at explaining probably due to the limited command of professional English - they are all trained as ballet pedagogues but at a Russian language institution.

At the moment I stick with EJB because I love having a teacher with real stage experience and who still dances. They were actually recomended to me several years ago by the principal of the Russian Ballet School HK, that was before she established her school. Having a teacher with a real ballet body and who keeps up with her training and performances (as at EJB) can be incredibly motivating to keep in a better shape :-) and to take more classes.

I'd recommend 2-3 times a week if you can afford it, and they don't have to be from the same teacher/school.

Last edited by Khema; 29-05-2016 at 12:21 PM.

PS If any of you are travelling to Bangkok, I strongly recommend Open Level classes at Bangkok City Ballet, Monday to Saturday 9-10:30 am (except Wed when it is only Beginner 9-10:00). This is a professional dance company and the classes are taught by the dancers and I find their classes, pre-ballet/warm up exercises and explanations are outstanding. The Artistic Director is Steven Bingley and he teaches a class on Sat morning (and it is hilarious...).

I think I learn in one week there as much as I learn in 2-3 month of classes in HK. Perhaps because I try to go a few times each visit, and each day there is a new teacher and a new challenge.

The fee is THB500/class (most run for over 90 min) and the participants are really mixed level, from total beginners to nearly professional, and of all body shapes. Their studio is at Sukhumvit Soi 49.

Bangkok City Ballet

Last edited by Khema; 29-05-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khema:
    I think Gravity Ballet is a good place too! I did not take a class there but I like the girls who teach there - we were together as stage extras in the Bolshoi production of Flames of Paris last year :-)

I had tried many schools, all of them on the HK Island. And I suggest you do try a few. Of all the schools I tried, the one with the largest focus on technique and the best explanation at Le Studio Ballet Le Studio Ballet - Hong Kong | 芭蕾舞學校, 成人芭蕾舞, 芭蕾舞, 幼兒教育, 跳舞, ballet, hong kong ballet, dance, art school,fitness center, ballet school . The teachers at the Russian Ballet School are not good at explaining probably due to the limited command of professional English - they are all trained as ballet pedagogues but at a Russian language institution.

At the moment I stick with EJB because I love having a teacher with real stage experience and who still dances. They were actually recomended to me several years ago by the principal of the Russian Ballet School HK, that was before she established her school. Having a teacher with a real ballet body and who keeps up with her training and performances (as at EJB) can be incredibly motivating to keep in a better shape :-) and to take more classes.

I'd recommend 2-3 times a week if you can afford it, and they don't have to be from the same teacher/school.
    Le Studio Ballet seem to focus on adults actually taking the RAD examinations, is this true?

EJB seems a bit more expensive (charging $230 per class) compared to other ballet schools, but I will send them an e-mail because they seem very professional and serious about adult beginners, just like Gravity Ballet.

I will definitely aim for at least twice a week, but 460$ per week (for EJB) may be a bit pricey, so maybe I will end up doing as you suggested, attending more than one school. I will start of with testing a few, to see which one suits me the best.

One of the reasons I am hoping Gravity Ballet turns out to be a perfect fit for me is because they offer a 'unlimited pass' with Miss Eve for HK$ 1,200 per month or 'all access unlimited' pass with all their teachers for HK$ 1,500. You end up paying more than that per month anyway if you take 3 classes per week, but don't want to purchase a 'package' which has a time limit.
    So I think cost wise, Gravity Ballet is very affordable and decent.

While we are on the subject of ballet does anyone where I can get a hold of ballet supplies? I have a pair of soft full sole (satin?) ballet shoes, but turns out they are way too small. I got them from the RBS and I tried to explain to the teacher that they were too small, but I think it got lost in translation.
    Now since I'm completely new to ballet, I don't know how snug they are suppose to fit, but I assume they aren't supposed to be so tight that you actually can't stretch out your big toe.... But like I said, what do I know
    So what ballet shoes should I be looking for? Satin? Leather? Should I be trying to find a certain brand, what price should I be expecting? I feel like the 50$ I paid for my first (too small) pair might end up doing more harm than good... What (on average) is the cost of beginner's ballet shoes? If I'm doing this - I'm doing it properly. So I don't want to end up buying 4 pairs along the way, because the first 3 are completely wrong because I have no clue what I'm doing.

I actually have a camisole leotard, but am looking for a short sleeved one (or 3 quarter sleeved). My arms tend to get very cold in a camisole.
    I'm assuming a bra lining is most comfortable? The camisole leotard I have has no bra lining, and it's impossible to wear a bra underneath... so I'm just wondering about the.. technical (dress) side of women dancing ballet? How does it work if there's no bra lining? No one really ever discusses the technical side of dancing ballet...If I'm going to try and dance ballet, I want to feel comfortable in what I'm wearing and don't want certain.. female body parts to show (if you know what I mean ladies - bra related.)

I'm actually going to the US at the end of July and I saw that NY has an actual physical Sansha store. Which if I'm not mistaken, seems to be one of the popular brands for everything dance related. Should I buy something 'acceptable' in HK and then invest when I can actually visit Sansha in NY?

Any advice would be very appreciated! I feel a bit overwhelmed and very confused.

Hello @Sweeneykill, for the ballet slippers, you should definitely be able to stretch out your big toes. Stand in a wide 2nd position (feet turned out, with one foot's distances between the two), bend your knees, and your big toes should be able to lie flat on the floor without crunching. As for the material, the most common types are canvas and leather. It's a matter of personal preference. Leather tends to last longer and gives more resistance so you will have to work harder with your foot muscles. Canvas usually forms to the shape of the feet better and you can feel the floor better too. You may want to buy a pair of canvas as they are cheaper and see how you like them.

As for leotards, I actually have a number of them for sale (most of which I have worn a few times and only hand-washed). Have a look here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5244639&type=3

Most of the leotards I bought came from DiscountDance.com. They are the biggest dancewear retailer in the U.S. but only sells online. The shipping to HK is quite expensive though. I had friends send them to me from the States to save costs. Nowadays most leotards come with a shelf bra so you don't have to wear any underwear when wearing leotards.

The Sansha store in New York is pretty nice but you should also check out the Capezio store. It's humongous! Both are in Midtown Manhattan. While in New York you should try out a few classes. I would recommend Finis Jhung's beginners' classes at Alvin Ailey Annex. He teaches in a very unconventional way but one that produces amazing results. The Floor Barre is also something that I would recommend. It helps you understand the core muscles and is a great way to get the basics right. They offer classes at Steps Broadway.

While we are on the subject of ballet does anyone where I can get a hold of ballet supplies? I have a pair of soft full sole (satin?) ballet shoes, but turns out they are way too small. I got them from the RBS and I tried to explain to the teacher that they were too small, but I think it got lost in translation.
    Now since I'm completely new to ballet, I don't know how snug they are suppose to fit, but I assume they aren't supposed to be so tight that you actually can't stretch out your big toe.... But like I said, what do I know
    So what ballet shoes should I be looking for? Satin? Leather? Should I be trying to find a certain brand, what price should I be expecting? I feel like the 50$ I paid for my first (too small) pair might end up doing more harm than good... What (on average) is the cost of beginner's ballet shoes? If I'm doing this - I'm doing it properly. So I don't want to end up buying 4 pairs along the way, because the first 3 are completely wrong because I have no clue what I'm doing.

I actually have a camisole leotard, but am looking for a short sleeved one (or 3 quarter sleeved). My arms tend to get very cold in a camisole.
    I'm assuming a bra lining is most comfortable? The camisole leotard I have has no bra lining, and it's impossible to wear a bra underneath... so I'm just wondering about the.. technical (dress) side of women dancing ballet? How does it work if there's no bra lining? No one really ever discusses the technical side of dancing ballet...If I'm going to try and dance ballet, I want to feel comfortable in what I'm wearing and don't want certain.. female body parts to show (if you know what I mean ladies - bra related.)

I'm actually going to the US at the end of July and I saw that NY has an actual physical Sansha store. Which if I'm not mistaken, seems to be one of the popular brands for everything dance related. Should I buy something 'acceptable' in HK and then invest when I can actually visit Sansha in NY?

Any advice would be very appreciated! I feel a bit overwhelmed and very confused.

Quote Originally Posted by wahansa:
    Hello @Sweeneykill, for the ballet slippers, you should definitely be able to stretch out your big toes. Stand in a wide 2nd position (feet turned out, with one foot's distances between the two), bend your knees, and your big toes should be able to lie flat on the floor without crunching. As for the material, the most common types are canvas and leather. It's a matter of personal preference. Leather tends to last longer and gives more resistance so you will have to work harder with your foot muscles. Canvas usually forms to the shape of the feet better and you can feel the floor better too. You may want to buy a pair of canvas as they are cheaper and see how you like them.

As for leotards, I actually have a number of them for sale (most of which I have worn a few times and only hand-washed). Have a look here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5244639&type=3

Most of the leotards I bought came from DiscountDance.com. They are the biggest dancewear retailer in the U.S. but only sells online. The shipping to HK is quite expensive though. I had friends send them to me from the States to save costs. Nowadays most leotards come with a shelf bra so you don't have to wear any underwear when wearing leotards.

The Sansha store in New York is pretty nice but you should also check out the Capezio store. It's humongous! Both are in Midtown Manhattan. While in New York you should try out a few classes. I would recommend Finis Jhung's beginners' classes at Alvin Ailey Annex. He teaches in a very unconventional way but one that produces amazing results. The Floor Barre is also something that I would recommend. It helps you understand the core muscles and is a great way to get the basics right. They offer classes at Steps Broadway.
    Thanks so much for your reply! I'll check out both of those stores while in NY and also try out a few classes. I'm going into town today and tomorrow, so might have a look around and see if I can find any local stores that sell ballet supplies. I've heard about 'Paul's Ballet Supplies Centre' in admiralty, although their website doesn't show many of the products, I remember the actual physical store had quite a lot of leotards.
    Do most dance supply stores online offer free return shipping? I'm just concerned about getting the size wrong.

@Sweeneykill, For Discount Dance you have to pay for return shipping if you want to make a return or exchange. It takes 1-2 weeks for processing so you'd have to figure that in during your trip.
    I haven't been to Paul's for ages... the last time I went was almost 9 years ago and I remember they didn't have many choices in terms of dancewear and shoes. The two stores that I recommend are Piu Ngai in Causeway Bay and Snow White in Wanchai. Lots of choices there.

Thanks so much for your reply! I'll check out both of those stores while in NY and also try out a few classes. I'm going into town today and tomorrow, so might have a look around and see if I can find any local stores that sell ballet supplies. I've heard about 'Paul's Ballet Supplies Centre' in admiralty, although their website doesn't show many of the products, I remember the actual physical store had quite a lot of leotards.
    Do most dance supply stores online offer free return shipping? I'm just concerned about getting the size wrong.