Like Tree101Likes

UEFA EURO 2016 France

Page 59 of 81 FirstFirst ... 51 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 67 ... LastLast

I still stand by original comments.

Iceland were the easier opponents on paper (you just have to look at the club teams their players play for) and you will be hard stretched to find any English supporter who disagrees with that view. But hindsight is a wonderful thing when your side of the argument wins right.

England were atrocious, Joe Hart had about 6 saves to make all tournament and fcked up two of them, Rooney passed the ball to the Icelandic players more than he did to his teammates and i hope i never see him in an England shirt again. Less said about Sterling the better for someone who can't beat a man or cross a ball who cost close to 50m.

Not taking anything away from Iceland they defended like warriors, against a team that absolutely dominated possession without creating anything after the penalty and took their first chance well. Second goal should have been saved but if you don't buy a ticket....

I'd like to see them beat France but I really don't think they will, they have too much quality which is something England was lacking in abundance.

As a Leeds fan I'm used to disappointment and shit football so England is where i hold my hopes of actually having something to celebrate once in a while. Major overhaul needed.

Last edited by Trebor; 28-06-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    chuckster007 and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:

Iceland were the easier opponents on paper (you just have to look at the club teams their players play for) and you will be hard stretched to find any English supporter who disagrees with that view. But hindsight is a wonderful thing when your side of the argument wins right.

England were atrocious, Joe Hart had about 6 saves to make all tournament and fcked up two of them, Rooney passed the ball to the Icelandic players more than he did to his teammates and i hope i never see him in an England shirt again. Less said about Sterling the better for someone who can't beat a man or cross a ball who cost close to 50m.

Not taking anything away from Iceland they defended like warriors, against a team that absolutely dominated possession without creating anything after the penalty and took their first chance well. Second goal should have been saved but if you don't buy a ticket....

I'd like to see them beat France but I really don't think they will, they have too much quality which is something England was lacking in abundance.

As a Leeds fan I'm used to disappointment and shit football so England is where i hold my hopes of actually having something to celebrate once in a while. Major overhaul needed.
    Another reason to get dual citizenship

Oh and switch your allegiance to a team 60 miles east down the M62

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:

I respect your views even though I don't agree with them.

As an English fan you would have known that England has a history of not doing well in tournaments. I believe they haven't progressed in a knockout stage since 2006...? So it wasn't really hindsight on my part. England were ripe for the taking, and Iceland knew it.

In all seriousness the English team is not the worst in the world but they are certainly not the best, nor even among the best. Yet many English fans insist on thinking that it is, and that it naturally belongs right up there with the most competitive countries/teams. Its sense of exceptionalism - based more on nostalgia than current reality - is entirely misplaced.

Also, it believes it has nothing much to learn or import from the rest of the world. For a country that invented, then exported, free trade and football, it is surprisingly insular and parochial. How many in the English team play on the continent? The answer is no one. And ask yourself why it is so damn unimaginative and boring...? Even Gareth Bale is playing in Spain.

Cheers Trebor, at least the Olympics are coming and you will have something to cheer for in rowing, cycling and athletics..?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    I respect your views even though I don't agree with them.

As an English fan you would have known that England has a history of not doing well in tournaments. I believe they haven't progressed in a knockout stage since 2006...? So it wasn't really hindsight on my part. England were ripe for the taking, and Iceland knew it.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    You see this is where your argument falls flat on it's face. Iceland have NEVER qualified for a major tournament before and last time we played them we won 6-1, their population is only 5 times that of my home island of Guernsey. Iceland were just as 'ripe for the taking' as England were. I'm well aware of Englands failures in the past but that doesn't prevent me from being optimistic when playing the likes of Iceland.

Eric Dier plied his trade at Sporting Lisbon before moving back to England, but i don't really see your point, the Premier League is in the top 3 leagues in the world, the English players do not need to move abroad as unfortunately they can own a shit tonne of money in England even though it's clear they don't deserve it.

There is a reason people are calling it the biggest ever upset in European Championship history and there is also a reason Iceland were massive underdogs going into the game. If you can't see that then i really have to question how much you really know about football. The majority of the Iceland team play their football in the Scandinavian leagues.

Credit where credits due but if England had played to their potential and Joe Hart hadn't dropped another clanger then we shouldn't even be having this discussion.

P.S. I couldn't be any more disinterested in the Olympics.

You win Trebor, have a Randalls on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    You win Trebor, have a Randalls on me!
    Did you just google 'Guernsey beer' My mates own White Rock Brewery so i'll have one of theirs instead. I'm trying to get them to come to Beertopia next year.

By the way, Chris Wood seems to have come back to pre-season leaner than ever. Let's hope he bangs in 20 goals for Leeds this season.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

UEFA EURO 2016 France

England's record Euro & World Cup since 2010

World Cup 2010
    1/16
    Germany vs England 4:1

Euro 2012
    Quarter finals
    England v Italy (0:0) 2:4 on penalties

World Cup 2014
    Group phase

Euro 2016
    1/16
    England v Iceland 1:2

Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Ah Chris Wood. If he had scored against Italy in 2010 when it was 1 - 1 we'll be in the second round of the world cup.

He certainly has the ability to bang them in and I hope he does for Leeds next season! Would be good to see Leeds in the Premiership soon!

The England players want to go on holiday and party as soon as possible with their WAGs or GFs and enjoy whats left of their off season before the new season starts. They have no interest in staying in Euro Cup.

come thu and fri you will see pictures of them in the daily mail walking out of some clubs at 4-5am LOL

Page 59 of 81 FirstFirst ... 51 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 67 ... LastLast