Like Tree64Likes

California fitness applied for bankruptcy?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Myoga and Leap also affected since they are under the same parent company as california fitness

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Except by those who paid for lot of months up front. Expect some related party to buy the assets out of bankruptcy and start up the whole charade again under a different brand.
    Same game played around the world by health clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Same game played around the world by health clubs.
    In which countries is that "pay for years up front" in health clubs prevalent?

I have experienced gyms in some countries of Europe (Austria, Germany and also Switzerland), never saw it.
    I have limited experience in the US (Cali, Florida and Oregon) for around 2 years and moved around, didn't see it.
    I always paid monthly. Also when I signed a 1-year or 2-year contract.

Just curious.

Edit: In HK I also have a 2 year contract (at Pure), but I pay monthly not up front.
    Last edited by 100LL; 29-06-2016 at 06:59 AM.
    shri likes this.

A well run organization should not be discounting future earnings as severely as California does.

Does not make sense when interest rates are low and inflation is not so low....

In Taiwan, California Fitness offered lifetime memberships for something like HKD 15k.

People paid up, then they found after one year their membership had been cancelled because they hadn't paid the c. HKD 20 annual admin fee that was hidden in the contract.

And even when they renewed, three years later CF went bust.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    In which countries is that "pay for years up front" in health clubs prevalent?

I have experienced gyms in some countries of Europe (Austria, Germany and also Switzerland), never saw it.
    I have limited experience in the US (Cali, Florida and Oregon) for around 2 years and moved around, didn't see it.
    I always paid monthly. Also when I signed a 1-year or 2-year contract.

Just curious.

Edit: In HK I also have a 2 year contract (at Pure), but I pay monthly not up front.
    "Lifetime" memberships . . . multiple year memberships. They exist(ed). Haven't been with a gym for many years so I don't know if state AG's outlawed those practices.

Hong Kong gym chain California Fitness seeks buyer as it faces winding up petition
    http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/l...buyer-it-faces

Skyhook likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    In Thailand they were selling lifetime memberships right up to the day they closed.

I'm glad California Fitness got what they deserved.

Mark my words, PHYSICAL will be next on the chopping block. These companies are horribly ran with horrible sales tactics.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

At least members aren't being greeted by shuttered doors.

2001-2 was a particularly 'bloody' time for closures. The health club TLC, a Gold's Gym branch, Beauty Retreat, and of course the biggest one Body by Deborah all shut up shop during that time, leaving plenty of people out of pocket, some heavily so. The first members knew were when they saw the shuttered doors with vague notices stuck on them.

Calls were made for greater consumer protection, but as usual they were ignored.

This is why I don't pay big up front for memberships or similar.

JaredHK likes this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast