Like Tree64Likes

California fitness applied for bankruptcy?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Had to look this one up from 1999 ...

'If you're not prepared to use them in the foreseeable future, don't buy them.' A council survey has estimated that about $170 million is being held in video coupons.

The survey estimated each household had an average of eight coupons for either cakes or videos, totalling $480 million.
    Time to get into the cake coupon business.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Had to look this one up from 1999 ...

Time to get into the cake coupon business.
    Ah yes. KPS and Maria's. Those queues of people outside the shops trying to get their free cakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Ah yes. KPS and Maria's. Those queues of people outside the shops trying to get their free cakes!
    I heard about those, but at the time I was in Taiwan, trying to navigate around the desperate queues of people outside McDonalds because the Hello Kitty freebies were rumoured to be running out

Whampoa garden branch closed today.

JaredHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    At least members aren't being greeted by shuttered doors.

2001-2 was a particularly 'bloody' time for closures. The health club TLC, a Gold's Gym branch,
    This is why I don't pay big up front for memberships or similar.
    Whampoa closed today and others are to follow so we have another shuttered door scenario all over again.
    I remember Golds in TST.. They were a fake Gold's with no affiliation to the Gold's Gym chain.

I feel sorry for all the folks that disregarded warnings from longtime members and renewed late last year or this year for the 6 year package.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    I feel sorry for all the folks that disregarded warnings from longtime members and renewed late last year or this year for the 6 year package.
    Maybe I am a nastier person than yourself but I find it very had to be compassionate about these people.

California Gym has had the most appalling press for over two decades, and you would need to be a hermit not to have seen any of it.

Even a Google of Cali Gym Hk, not scandal, not court cases, not aggressive sales tactics, brings up enough in the first two pages of results to make anyone aware of what they are dealing with.

"California Fitness is accused of forcing an austistic man to take out a loan for his ... to HK$300,000 to pay for his membership fees at the gym.

Man claims California Fitness staff filmed his genitals after he ...
    hongkong.coconuts.co/.../man-claims-california-fitness-staff-filmed-his-genitals-after-...
    May 13, 2016 - California Fitness staff have allegedly stalked him, made videos of his ... harassing a Hong Kong man after he helped a friend defend himself from the ... friend file a complaint, but had his gym membership terminated in 2011.

HK's top gym chain California Fitness in trouble again after customer ...
    en.apdnews.com/business/industries/405268.html
    May 19, 2016 - HK's top gym chain California Fitness in trouble again after ... Two staff members at California Fitness were arrested by customs officers on ...

Gym chain named and shamed - The Standard
    Gym chain named and shamed - The Standard
    Apr 29, 2016 - The Consumer Council has named and hopes to shame California ... about California Fitness, which has nine gyms around Hong Kong, were ..."

It goes on page after page.

If ever the words "caveat emptor" really mean something, it's in Hk's personal fitness world, as HK is not exactly known for it's consumer protection laws.
    JaredHK and shri like this.

Calif Singapore is deleting posts on their FB page about HK bankrupty and closure of Whampoa. They are also blocking the people posting. I guess they will continue to scam there after HK shuts.

Sure the sales people tried to push some crappy PT on you etc, always circling the gym-floor with some strange tactics of giving people comments. But after a few months they learned to let regulars alone. I actually enjoyed the Central gym in L-Place, really cheap, good location for living up the escalator and the equipment was not bad at all. Sometimes a bit too crowded, but overall great value for the money.

I'm a member of California Fitness and am perfectly happy with both the club and my membership. they tried hard sell tactics on me when I arrived and i told them to take a hike, and took out the membership that worked for me (which was a 1 year only membership - higher priced at the time but back then I was only coming for a year...... it's now quite good value as it's rolled over for years without rising).

I had no idea what reputation CF had when I arrived - like many newbies I just turned up and tried to get my life organised - with phones, internet, gym etc. So of course ended up in CF as it was close to where I worked at the time and have PCCW internet etc etc etc.

HK has terrible laws on customer protection. Utterly dire. Most developed countries have realised that allowing rampant abuse of sales and customer service is a bad idea and give customers protection. HK does not. And of course you don't know this before you arrive! It's pathetic to blame new arrivals for "not knowing" everything about HK before they arrive.

I can't wait for HK to act like a proper developed country and actually put in place some decent consumer protection laws backed up with teeth.

biffski likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    Whampoa garden branch closed today.
    They just reopened this location about a month ago too, they had been pushing new signups with the reopening big time.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast