Like Tree64Likes

California fitness applied for bankruptcy?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Are you sure this is the Autopay scheme, or is some kind of continuous credit card authorization? The controls around AutoPay seem a lot stronger for the consumers.

I can (and have) stopped Autopay online, HSBC execute it within two days. You just reminded me to cancel one actually.
    then probably the continuous authorisation thing. CF pull from their end, I don't push.

Autopay is pull too. But it seems to be modeled on the British Direct Debit scheme, so has a lot more controls in place. I remember when I was a CF member in 2004 they refused to let me use Autopay and insisted on payments from credit card.

I suspect it is illegal for them to continue taking payments when they are in administration, but I wouldn't bet they do stop billing customers.

HK_Katherine likes this.

I paid for the whole contract as lump sum upfront for 2 years of membership, still have 1 year left on membership...

How screwed am I?

Quote Originally Posted by james1234:
    I paid for the whole contract as lump sum upfront for 2 years of membership, still have 1 year left on membership...

How screwed am I?
    Very screwed. You'll be an unsecured creditor in any bankruptcy proceedings and unlikely to recover any assets. The best hope you have is another company buying up and running the gyms as a going concern.. but that seems unlikely to me.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by james1234:

How screwed am I?
    Expect to get nothing back.

Members are low on the list of creditors when it comes to bankruptcy.

Original Post Deleted
    But I just DID. And they didn't help.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Original Post Deleted
    I feel your pain.

So I've sent cf an email terminating and kept a screenshot. Good enough for today!

PS using mobile site to post this. Its utterly dysfunctional. Can't see half the screen for an advert....

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Back to HSBC - "you can cancel your card and get a new one" was the next piece of gloriously useless advice from the Filipina in the English language call centre.
    I don't see why that is gloriously useless. In many cases, when your card number changes they won't be able to take payments anymore. That's certainly how it was for me when I changed card number and my Smartone bill stopped autopaying

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    But I just DID. And they didn't help.
    This is why you should use your credit card rather than autopay, then you have some form of purchase protection.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast