Like Tree29Likes

Gym Deals for Calfornia Fitness Members

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by biffski:
    I did see that and called them. In spite of the wording "HK residents" they stated it was only applicable to permanent residents. I have yet to challenge them on this statement since I am a resident and do file taxes, etc, but not yet a permanent resident. It is basically false or misleading advertising.
    Which was the gym that when it opened was ladies only and Chinese only?

(I thought it was an earlier incarnation of Physical.)
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 19-07-2016 at 01:39 PM.

The main reason is that, with the exception of lifetime members, they would have new members when their existing agreements expire. In addition, it is the right thing to do. Unfortunately, I don't expect Hong Kong businesses to think with "best practices" in mind. Such is the nature of a business first culture.
    I think gyms here don't have any issues in attracting customers. Also, why is it "best practice" to adopt such policies? Says who? This is nothing at all to do with HK and its business practices, its just business in general.

Now if gyms waive their stupid joining / admin fees and maybe offer a discount for x months to California Fitness members, that would probably be a nice gesture, but I don't think that's going to happen here. Also, this is probably going to result in me grabbing my tin hat, but generally I'm not sure if other gyms in HK want the sort of clientèle California Fitness was attracting....
    Allen Chu likes this.

The main reason is that, with the exception of lifetime members, they would have new members when their existing agreements expire. In addition, it is the right thing to do. Unfortunately, I don't expect Hong Kong businesses to think with "best practices" in mind. Such is the nature of a business first culture.
    What countries do you imagine this sort of thing being the usual practice?
    Allen Chu likes this.

Standard business practice in the US and a simplistic, yet effective, marketing strategy to acquire new customers or clients. Another business or gym in this case negotiates terms, which may entail an "earn-out" and acquires the previous business clientele or customers.

I did see that and called them. In spite of the wording "HK residents" they stated it was only applicable to permanent residents. I have yet to challenge them on this statement since I am a resident and do file taxes, etc, but not yet a permanent resident. It is basically false or misleading advertising.

They did check if my ID was permanent (and calif member card) before thy signed me up for the 1 Year + free 6 Months plan. However I regret getting it as the club is extremely crowded and dirty (TST). There are several posts in the Calif Facebook groups blaming this situation on the recent influx of South Asian members from California and are requesting Physical to restrict the deal or end it.

I did find it rather odd that they now have the ability to check validity of the California memberships. California member cards have no expiry dates marked on them but Phy is able to confirm if the card/membership has expired.
    Last edited by JaredHK; 19-07-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSunnin:
    Hi there. I was a member of California fitness and now need to find another gym.
    I was wondering what type of deals you guys have found. I went to Fitness First in Causeway Bay and they offered a year deal at $748 per month. If you pay upfront they will throw in an extra month (so avg cost $690 per month). They will waive admin and join up fees of $400 and $800 respectively. The gym itself is really nice and they have towel service, shorts and tshirts, free coffee and tea. All covered with membership. Guy said he'd throw in 2 additional locations as well. Also with any membership you get free access to all the worldwide locations.

Anyone else find any decent deals for other gyms??
    I signed up over the weekend and im paying on a monthly bases, no mention of upfront payment from my sales

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:

I suspect he has in mind something like my plan, where I pay 538 a month. So I would now pay 538 a month to a new gym, they would get a new customer (and new money) and I would get a new gym at the same price.

Unfortunately, I think a large number of CF members prepaid (quite why escapes me entirely!) - in which case the above is not as attractive.

So I agree with his sentiment - applied to monthly paying people only though.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I suspect he has in mind something like my plan, where I pay 538 a month. So I would now pay 538 a month to a new gym, they would get a new customer (and new money) and I would get a new gym at the same price.

Unfortunately, I think a large number of CF members prepaid (quite why escapes me entirely!) - in which case the above is not as attractive.

My facepalm was about the 'right thing to do' reference. I interpreted that as doing the right thing for the customers. I don't know of many (actually I can't think of any right now) HK consumer businesses that would do something based on such a premise.

I don't know of many (actually I can't think of any right now) HK consumer businesses that would do something based on such a premise.
    Because they've all gone out of business as they could not make their rent checks.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

Sounds like a surefire way for a company to piss off its existing customers. The new gym gets a massive influx of people competing for equipment, and unless the gym is Physical, then the new arrivals get a cheaper deal than existing members.

Of course, the one chain that's cheaper, Physical, has already done something along these lines with the six month free membership.

So I don't know what biffski is complaining about. Oh, right, about not being given the deal because of PR requirements. Sounds like an entitled whine to me.
    Last edited by jgl; 19-07-2016 at 05:21 PM.