Like Tree10Likes

Leaving HK for good -paying unused months and fine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Leaving HK for good -paying unused months and fine?

Dear all,

need a little advice here. first of September I signed a membership in a Gym (FF) for 12 months, believing I will stay in HK for the next couple of years. Things changed a lot during the last 4 weeks and now I have to leave end of November for good. But the gym wants me to pay for half a year together with a fine which is 1.5 months extra. Meaning I have to pay 3 months and 1.5 month as a fine for not using their service. Or better: For not being able to use their service, as I have to leave HK because of job reasons.
    Sure, I signed a contract. I know that. The law is on their side...
    On the other hand, from a human perspective it is quite greedy behavior to take so much money from someone who doesn't leave because of a change of mood but because he has to. Moreover, I don't have 6000 HKD to throw out of the window, I have to admit...
    Would you pay that in my situation? I mean...they don't have my new address, they don't even know to which country I will move....

Thanks for your thoughts..

best

Gordon

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Arghhh... I hate it when people are forced under duress to sign contracts. Did they threaten your knees or hands when you were signing?

But seriously, you read it, you signed it, and you agreed to the terms. Now you are reneging on the contract and it pisses you off because they are holding you to the terms you, willingly, agreed to.

This would be a civil case not a criminal one if you were to leave without settling what you are due. If you never come back to Hong Kong to live/work, it likely won't follow you. If you did come back, it will show on your credit rating, which certain employers in certain industries will check.

So leave. Don't pay. It likely won't leave a shred of guilt on your conscious .

coffee_break likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I would pay my landlord, I would pay my credit card, I would pay my friends, my phone contract and I would pay my bartab before leaving....But a gym membership, I'd just leave and not have the slightest bit of guilt when doing so as I believe they are all crooks and predators.
    vmlinuz and lbear40 like this.

I will pay everything if I sign the contract. If I don't want to pay, I won't sign.

East_coast likes this.

Howard, that´s what I think. I am definitely not a person who doesn`t settle his bills. But where I come from it is illegal! of a Gym to demand money from someone who cannot use the service anymore (speaking of health reasons or the fact that this person moves more than 20km away from the gym).
    I know it is legal here. But that doesn´t make the fact better of being forced to pay for nothing and doesn´t strenghten my motivation to give them my money...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Arghhh... I hate it when people are forced under duress to sign contracts. Did they threaten your knees or hands when you were signing?

But seriously, you read it, you signed it, and you agreed to the terms. Now you are reneging on the contract and it pisses you off because they are holding you to the terms you, willingly, agreed to.

This would be a civil case not a criminal one if you were to leave without settling what you are due. If you never come back to Hong Kong to live/work, it likely won't follow you. If you did come back, it will show on your credit rating, which certain employers in certain industries will check.

Not paying gym membership will show up on the credit rating? Not True.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lovehunter:
    Not paying gym membership will show up on the credit rating? Not True.
    Not about just a gym payment, but judgements might. Not sure about debts sent to collection agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not about just a gym payment, but judgements might. Not sure about debts sent to collection agencies.
    They will pressure you to pay but they can't sell the debt to collection agencies I believe (from experience, not mine). The judgment from (Small Claims Court) will still not show on the Credit Report - just not possible.

If you would not want to pay for Gym membership and leave Hong Kong, Sure as @Claire ex-ax said "So leave. Don't pay. It likely won't leave a shred of guilt on your conscious ."

If you dont want to pay then no need to get approval from this lot

Cancel your credit card and leg it, feck the gym, broadband, mobile phone contracts

TheBrit and jrb014 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon81:
    Howard, that´s what I think. I am definitely not a person who doesn`t settle his bills. But where I come from it is illegal! of a Gym to demand money from someone who cannot use the service anymore (speaking of health reasons or the fact that this person moves more than 20km away from the gym).
    A contract is a contract and you signed it without duress. I dont buy into the "illegal" argument. You signed it and now you have a choice. Have principles = the question is which type
    I know it is legal here. But that doesn´t make the fact better of being forced to pay for nothing and doesn´t strenghten my motivation to give them my money...
    If it was me, I'd not pay them a dime but thats just me....I'd rather give the money to charity if I wanted to put a smile on my face and still keep my alt-principles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast