Like Tree59Likes

Wan Chai Sports Ground - Bye Bye!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Wan Chai Sports Ground - Bye Bye!

WIll be turned into a novel and trendy convention venue.

The Hong Kong Amateur Athletic Association said on Wednesday that it was "shocked, disappointed and most concerned" about the government's plan to demolish the Wan Chai Sports Ground, warning that it will have a "devastating and long-lasting effect" on the development of the athletics in Hong Kong.

The Chief Executive, CY Leung, announced in his policy address that the sports ground would be redeveloped to provide convention and exhibition venues, "trendy and novel" recreation and sports facilities, as well as other community facilities.
    Angry athletes slam demolition of Wan Chai venue - RTHK
    irisboards likes this.

Horrible.

jrkob likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Farking typical developer-centric govt view. Any further details on what 'trendy and novel' sporting facilities actually entail? (A ping pong table in an overpriced bar wouldn't surprise me...)

The Government is scared to tackle developers land banks, kuk on village etc. so they avoid the issue and propose using country parks for urgently needed land for housing...........not really so urgent because then they propose an exhibition centre? it makes no sense, why not build urgently needed housing????

It's a bit like the new taxi licencing system, they dare not tackle the root cause, so create some new scheme to avoid dealing with vested interests

.......wondering what job CY will take up

this place is becoming such a joke it's not even funny. No wonder suicide rate is going up and people want to leave this place. All Hail our real estate god!
    My favorite beer went from 30 HKD to 42 HKD, just to show how they don't care about screwing clients here.

So many schools use these grounds for Sport Days and other activities.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    So many schools use these grounds for Sport Days and other activities.
    Every so often when passing these grounds I always saw it with School kids holding sports day events. WTF are they going to do now travel to visit imparonic in Sha Tau Kok LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Every so often when passing these grounds I always saw it with School kids holding sports day events. WTF are they going to do now travel to visit imparonic in Sha Tau Kok LOL
    I don't think they give a shit, their kids don't go to those schools.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    They are going to go to Aberdeen Sports Ground, TKO sports ground, Shatin sports ground, Siu Sai Wan sports ground or one of a dozen more dotted around the territory.

Dont get me wrong, I loved the old place too, I work minutes from it - saw my 3 kids running and growing up there but at the same time, be a bit more realistic. Just like the Cricket Club moving away from Central, this sports ground could move out of highly desirable and very expensive water front land.. I'm sure there are/will be replacements, somewhere else to take its place.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast