Like Tree24Likes

What does the Hong Kong Sevens have to do with Hongkong

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Explains its popularity in France.
    Speaking of which - why did Cricket become popular in the subcontinent but Football & Rugby did not ?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Speaking of which - why did Cricket become popular in the subcontinent but Football & Rugby did not ?
    Because of the lack of a cow diet. It's hard to get beefcakes that way.
    Mat and shri like this.

Cricket is a summer sport in the UK and therefore more suitable for playing in hot countries. There's a lot less running around than in football and rugby.
    DirtyHairy and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Explains its popularity in France.

There's a reason that football and rugby are winter games...try playing either in the tropics!

Quote Originally Posted by PokfooLamin:
    Having said that, the stands were EMPTY on Friday and Saturday after 5. I don't care if all the tix were sold, etc....I have the photos to prove it. The city needs to bring in a lottery scheme on a massive scale to GIVE tickets away for Friday and Saturday admission after 5 PM. It's true that the locals feel shut-out and that generates a lot of anger and resentment. I had one local friend actually cheering for Germany against HK because she said the HK team 'did not represent the people here'. I think she meant they did not look Chinese (though most of the 7s team were born here....unfortunately not eligible for Citizenship due to the Chinese racial blood laws in Article 9)......she was literally rooting against HK. If locals were made to feel more included, such as a mass ticket giveaway late Friday, Saturday...and being taught the details of Article 9.....they would be more positive about the 7s.
    When i was on exchange in HK University ages ago, it was free on Friday evenings for students with student ID. Is that still happening?

Hong Kong 7s is Hong Kong's ONLY major, annual spectator sporting event. These types of events happen every single weekend or every other weekend in North American cities, Australian cities, etc. Spectator Sports defy logic and are anti-PC by their very definition. Going back to Roman times, they are a place to lose your mind, do crazy stuff, watch crazy stuff.....a snapshot of insanity.

For all the negative things that are said about 7s, they put Hong Kong on the map in the minds of Westerners. If I go to Toronto, Melbourne, London.....and introduce myself as being from Hong Kong, the reaction is: 'Oh, Hong Kong 7s!' It's good PR for the city.

Having said that, the stands were EMPTY on Friday and Saturday after 5. I don't care if all the tix were sold, etc....I have the photos to prove it. The city needs to bring in a lottery scheme on a massive scale to GIVE tickets away for Friday and Saturday admission after 5 PM. It's true that the locals feel shut-out and that generates a lot of anger and resentment. I had one local friend actually cheering for Germany against HK because she said the HK team 'did not represent the people here'. I think she meant they did not look Chinese (though most of the 7s team were born here....unfortunately not eligible for Citizenship due to the Chinese racial blood laws in Article 9)......she was literally rooting against HK. If locals were made to feel more included, such as a mass ticket giveaway late Friday, Saturday...and being taught the details of Article 9.....they would be more positive about the 7s.

Note that rugby is on the DECLINE in player numbers in Australia and has flat-lined in Hong Kong. It has grown as much as it can in its current incarnation (e.g. not being taught in schools, no one here has private health insurance and the public system can refuse to treat your shoulder, etc.)
    Now that I am boycotting 7s due to my vehicle being scooped up in Central, I discredit this entire post. Looking for ways to delete.

Now that I am boycotting 7s due to my vehicle being scooped up in Central, I discredit this entire post. Looking for ways to delete.
    In addition to your other thread you have now resurrected a five year old thread. Much as there may be some sympathy for your predicament your one man boycott isn't gaining much traction.

When in a hole stop digging.
    Insomnia likes this.

See you on South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    See you on South Stand
    Can you dress up as a Traffic Warden
    hullexile and ByeByeEngland like this.