Like Tree24Likes

What does the Hong Kong Sevens have to do with Hongkong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

What does the Hong Kong Sevens have to do with Hongkong

Just found this article. What's your opinion? Please share

What does the Hong Kong Sevens have to do with Hongkongers? | South China Morning Post

Seems somebody in the SCMP didn't manage to get a ticket.

hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Seems somebody in the SCMP didn't manage to get a ticket.

I personally enjoy the Sevens weekends - all of the places that I frequent that are typically filled with ex-pats (Pure Fitness, shopping malls, City Super, etc) were all dead empty. Just avoid LKF and Wan Chai and it's all good.

biffski and ExpatYmmyMummy like this.

People were bitching about $640 million being spent on Hong Kong festivities, but go full retard when it comes to the 7s.

Isn't "7" a local term for stupid? That's what the whole thing is anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Isn't "7" a local term for stupid? That's what the whole thing is anyway.
    No, it's "9" as in "On 9"
    shri likes this.

Couldn't the same be said about Art Basel? Why pick on 7s? Big cities around the world try to hold sports and cultural events to raise the city's profile and get tourists in. The average Hong Konger can't afford the city's Michelin star restaurants either.

The 'average' HKer seems perfectly capable of buying annual passes to Disney and iPhones.

I think pricing is okay for an annual event with the profile the 7s has...

There is a way to get cheaper tickets and *ahem* increase your odds in the lottery...go coach Minis...and that's how it should be.

One of the fastest growing sports in the territory...people from every class, multi-ethnic, mixed girls and boys teams.

Get fit, learn team work...push boundaries, lead...

The 7s serves as an inspiration to thousands of Hong Kong kids.

I'll don my flame proof jacket before saying this...the only thing I'd get rid of is the drunkenness...several local people I've spoken to cited drunken behaviour as their main reason for not going.

Hong Kong 7s is Hong Kong's ONLY major, annual spectator sporting event. These types of events happen every single weekend or every other weekend in North American cities, Australian cities, etc. Spectator Sports defy logic and are anti-PC by their very definition. Going back to Roman times, they are a place to lose your mind, do crazy stuff, watch crazy stuff.....a snapshot of insanity.

For all the negative things that are said about 7s, they put Hong Kong on the map in the minds of Westerners. If I go to Toronto, Melbourne, London.....and introduce myself as being from Hong Kong, the reaction is: 'Oh, Hong Kong 7s!' It's good PR for the city.

Having said that, the stands were EMPTY on Friday and Saturday after 5. I don't care if all the tix were sold, etc....I have the photos to prove it. The city needs to bring in a lottery scheme on a massive scale to GIVE tickets away for Friday and Saturday admission after 5 PM. It's true that the locals feel shut-out and that generates a lot of anger and resentment. I had one local friend actually cheering for Germany against HK because she said the HK team 'did not represent the people here'. I think she meant they did not look Chinese (though most of the 7s team were born here....unfortunately not eligible for Citizenship due to the Chinese racial blood laws in Article 9)......she was literally rooting against HK. If locals were made to feel more included, such as a mass ticket giveaway late Friday, Saturday...and being taught the details of Article 9.....they would be more positive about the 7s.

Note that rugby is on the DECLINE in player numbers in Australia and has flat-lined in Hong Kong. It has grown as much as it can in its current incarnation (e.g. not being taught in schools, no one here has private health insurance and the public system can refuse to treat your shoulder, etc.)

mrgoodkat likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast