Like Tree14Likes

Swimming pools in HK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I agree re. not joining Waterfall at Kornhill Apartments. We are staying here so have free access but It is an old pool, heavily chlorinated, always full of elderly people and while they do now have a couple of lanes, there are always too many swimming to use it comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Head to one of our gorgeous beaches and take a refreshing dip in the crystal clear waters.
    So agree, this is Round Island just a couple km away from Middle Island, crystal clear water. need a kayak or be a good swimmer to get there though.Name:  PA240277.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  1.56 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer:
    My clubhouse has a beautiful looking pool, but like a lot of things in HK, the appearance is more important than usability. I've stopped using it because the chlorine is so strong it burns my nose just walking towards it, and my skin feels disgusting after swimming in it. A friend got a rash after swimming there. I've given up trying to have a nice swim in HK and just make the most of frequent trips away.
    Thankfully been decades since I've had to worry about pool maintenance, but I thought that if you could smell a pool it meant that there isn't enough free chlorine available to disinfect properly. You end up with the formation of chloramine, which is used to treat drinking water in some countries and people will complain about smell or taste. Chlorine itself has no smell.

So it's probably not that someone is just dumping too much chlorine into the water, but they're not paying attention to maintaining it properly in other ways so the pool is fully of other crap.

Edit: Just looked it up, chloramine is an ammonia compound, it's going to smell and irritate. Probably not enough chlorine in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    So agree, this is Round Island just a couple km away from Middle Island, crystal clear water. need a kayak or be a good swimmer to get there though.
    OT: How do we reach this island ?

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    OT: How do we reach this island ?
    I am a member of the VRC, so use a kayak/surfski. Need to look for boat hire I guess.

I paddled out to the island this morning to find this crap on the beach. Seems almost impossible to find litter free anything in HK.

Name:  ce6dc71d-a05b-4782-8937-de78ce1d22a5.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  551.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    So agree, this is Round Island just a couple km away from Middle Island, crystal clear water. need a kayak or be a good swimmer to get there though.Name:  PA240277.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  1.56 MB
    This is nothing like this in west New Territories where I live in, and Chung Hom Kok is too far away for me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3