Like Tree14Likes

Swimming pools in HK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Swimming pools in HK

Does anyone know of any non-public fee-charging swimming pools that are good on HK Island? I find the public pools far too chlorinated, grimy and busy, and my gym, Fitness First, only has one pool, over in TST.

From a short Google search, I can only find very expensive hotels charging somewhere between $300-700 per day to use their pools! What I'm looking for is a decent pool, maybe with monthly charge or something, with water that doesn't take off a layer of skin each time you get in ...

Could be too much to ask, I admit.

Any info gratefully received.

SCAA

But the pool is temporarily closed.

I use the HKU pool at Sandy Bay, but its membership is generally for HKU student/staff/alumni (I'm currently on the alumni membership which costs at most $1980 per year)

Quote Originally Posted by dogbag101:
    Does anyone know of any non-public fee-charging swimming pools that are good on HK Island? I find the public pools far too chlorinated, grimy and busy, and my gym, Fitness First, only has one pool, over in TST.

From a short Google search, I can only find very expensive hotels charging somewhere between $300-700 per day to use their pools! What I'm looking for is a decent pool, maybe with monthly charge or something, with water that doesn't take off a layer of skin each time you get in ...

Could be too much to ask, I admit.

Any info gratefully received.
    Taikoo Kornhill Waterfall has a swimming pool charging around 1.5k per month.
    Last edited by james_hklocal; 02-07-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang:
    I use the HKU pool at Sandy Bay, but its membership is generally for HKU student/staff/alumni (I'm currently on the alumni membership which costs at most $1980 per year)
    Anyone can join for about $500 per month, which not only includes the pools, but the gym and other sporty stuff.

http://www.ihp.hku.hk/index.php?opti...404&Itemid=284
    Last edited by emx; 02-07-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by james_hklocal:
    Taikoo Kornhill Waterfall has a swimming pool charging around 1.5k per month.
    Whatever you do, don't join there. I was a member for a few months before cancelling my membership. It is absolutely horrendous. Many memberships have been sold to the mostly elderly residents of Kornhill Apartments. The pool is absolutely packed with all kinds of elderly people amongst others. They swim in every direction and it is impossible to do laps. Apart from that the water is filthy. Absolutely do not recommend.
    gigglinggal and Franky1 like this.

The Kwun Tong public pool is rather new. Pretty nice in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    The Kwun Tong public pool is rather new. Pretty nice in my opinion.
    I work right by it. It looks like a nice facility and is only 2-3 years old. In my experience though the public pools are horribly run. It is near impossible to swim laps without some local gimp swimming right at you. I tried and eventually gave up.

We joined the Hong Kong Football Club mainly to get access to decent pool facilities. The pool complex is well managed (though not as pleasant to use at the moment due to the refurbishment of a nearby restaurant area) and there are lanes marked off for serious swimmers. The other sports facilities such as the gym, badminton courts etc. are all excellent. The standard monthly subscription is quite high, but if you participate in sports regularly, the cost per use is quite reasonable. If you are under 28 or strong at a particular sport, (we are sadly neither) you can get a significantly discounted membership rate (I think it is about $600 per month).

I hear the South China Athletic Association has great swimming facilities and is very reasonable to join. I have no idea how well run the pools are.

gigglinggal likes this.

When it was open, SCAA was a good choice. It is slightly more expensive than public pools and relatively isolated from dense housing. So it's a lot quieter than Viccy Park or Morris.
    It's not perfect though. It can get busy and there is no lane discipline. Invariably every lane will be occupied by a septuagenarian doing super slow laps. But it's better than the public pools where you can get 3 or 4 of them each lane.
    Shame it's closed for now.

gigglinggal likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast