Looking for decent and reasonably price gym in North Point

Closed Thread

Looking for decent and reasonably price gym in North Point

Hi All,

A little about myself:
    I am originally from the UK, born and raised (BBC). I moved to Hong Kong about 2 years ago for work, and recently moved to Hong Island side.

As the post suggests I am looking for a decently priced gym with a fair amount of fitness equipment. I am an avid gym goer, about 5 times a week/ amateur body builder. I've been a member at physical for about 2 years and contract is almost up. So just wondering if anyone could suggest a good gym around North Point.

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you apply for South China Athletic Association at Causeway Bay. It has decent gym equipment and good view of the Hong Kong Stadium. It's affordable ($200 region/month), do check it out to see whether it suits you.

Not sure which Physical gym you use at the moment, but they have gyms in Tai Koo or Causeway Bay which may work for you.

Otherwise, the only others close to North Point would be Fitness First or Pure in Quarry Bay or Causeway Bay. These would be more expensive than Physical, but if you go 5 times a week, then it may be worth it.

Hey thanks for getting back to me.
    @Merkava I'll definitely check it out. Is the South China Athletic Association simply pay to use? Just asking cause some places like YMCA need you to have your name drawn from a list it's not a straight forward paid service. Also are you a member? If so just curious about how busy it gets I'm usually in the gym around 7pm-11pm depending.

@HK/UKboy
    I used to go to the Tsuen wan one and then the new one when it moved. Was pretty decent sized. Unless I absolutely have to I avoid MK as it's dirty and has too many benchwarmers and screamers. I've used the Tai koo one once, it's OK but it's kinda small.
    I've thought about fitness but some of the quotes are ridiculous. Plus I suck at haggling.

madi717

Which gym did you end up signing up? My new office would be at Taikoo next year and I wanted to join the gym nearby and you sounded like me in a way that I do go to the gym 4-5 times a day (not a body builder) and suck at haggling. I am looking for a reasonably-priced yet not need to wait in queue during peak hour (I go to the gym around 8-10pm) and possibly opens early so I can do a bit of work-out before I go to work. It would be highly appreciated if you don't mind sharing where you ended up going. Thanks!
    (Otherwise, Pure Fitness seems to be the only option available here )

@madi717
    Hey, I've not actually joined one yet as my contract at physical is till early next year. I'd recommend waterfall if you'll be in taikoo. There is one at kornhill (tram from taikoo to kornhill takes like 5mins)and it seems pretty decent, price should be around 3xx mark so acceptable. Hope this helps.

there is a new climbing gym near quarry bay station... above ryzze (sp?), the trampoline place...

madi717

Thanks, Aiddy.
    I decided to go with 6 month contract with First Fitness for time being since it is in the building I am working now and the office would move to Taikoo at the end of March next year. I will also move close to the office next February so when I go for the new gym next May, I will have to take my flat location into consideration as well.

By any chance, do you know whether there is a big difference between 1 year and 6 months with First Fitness?

Hey @madi717 sorry for the late reply, mobbed at work. The difference will be insignificant, they maybe shave 100-2xx bucks off and maybe throw in some free classes/coupons. Also helps paying with cash sometimes.

There's a fitness first in North Point next near the old Chinese opera theatre. That ones a bit expensive as it's a street store.

Hope that helps, happy training!