Like Tree17Likes

Chris Froome fights to save career after failed drugs test result

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Chris Froome fights to save career after failed drugs test result

https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/amp....rmal-drug-test

https://www.google.com.hk/amp/www.bb...cling/42335916

So a well known, life long asthmatic takes his Ventolin (salbutamol) a little too much during a race, which he has been taking his whole career and is not on the banned substances list..

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    So a well known, life long asthmatic takes his Ventolin (salbutamol) a little too much during a race, which he has been taking his whole career and is not on the banned substances list..
    But still controlled by regulations. If they upped his dose they should have applied for an exemption. Sloppy management.

The urine test, taken on 7 September, showed levels of the drug, Salbutamol, which is commonly taken for asthma, were at 2,000 nanograms per millilitre (ng/ml).That compares to the World Anti-Doping Agency's threshold of 1,000 ng/ml.

The use of Salbutamol is permitted, without the need of a therapeutic use exemption, but only within certain doses.

Given the mess that competitive cycling has been in for years, it's a stupid mistake if you want to appear squeaky clean.

This is over Ventolin?

As far as I've ever been able to tell (taking it on and off all my life) that does absolutely nothing to improve performance. It just reduces the chances of having an asthma attack triggered by, say, exercising in cold weather.

Football16 likes this.

He obviously took too much. Whether or not it was intentional he should accept that he may have had an unwarranted marginal benefit from it, relinquish his Vuellta title and accept any ban.

He may need to take a year off, either to spend time with the family or take up a different pursuit: perhaps rowing.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    He obviously took too much. Whether or not it was intentional he should accept that he may have had an unwarranted marginal benefit from it, relinquish his Vuellta title and accept any ban.

He may need to take a year off, either to spend time with the family or take up a different pursuit: perhaps rowing.
    Is there any evidence that he would have gained a benefit from it?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    No. But no evidence that he didn't either.

But the issue is that he broke the rules. And remember that is what sport is: the practice of a physical endeavour under agreed rules.

There is also the issue of fairness. Others have been disqualified and had bans for even lower levels of salbutenol.

My view is that Froome can maintain his credibility that he didn't intend to cheat, that it was unfortunate but he is respectful of the rules of cycling.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Doesn't matter - we will never know.

There is a rule, he broke it - end of.

Like 100th of cyclist (sadly) and track and Field stars.
    It's a sad reality but you just cant think any of these guys is clean sometimes (I do believe some are...and very often after a few years, I get disappointed)

I practice endurance sports since I am young. I went up to national level but then figured I could be an average banker and make a living but you cant be an average sports guy and make a living. You have to be in the top 0.1% to make a living. And because of that, in many cases, you have to flirt with the rules. If you are lucky you don't get caught, if you are not, you get caught.

I don't have a strong opinion on Froome's case and it may well be careless act...but at that level really...

I had given up following cycling at all because it was rife with drug abuse. I find it... surprisingly reassuring if these days the big news is people getting in trouble for using something as utterly ineffective (for performance improvements) than Ventolin.

huja and Football16 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast