Like Tree17Likes

most difficult hike in hk?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think it depends on your experience and fitness levels.

On Boxing Day we caught the ferry from Tuen to Tung Chung and walked to Ngong Ping using the trail that follows the cable cars...my wife and I thought it was pretty easy, our friends thought they were going to die!

Castle Peak in Tuen Mun is a good one but it's steep and there are a few bits where you're 'scrambling'! Tai Mo Shan is higher but is a very easy gradient...

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Difficult in terms of technical skills required - South Heaven Stream in the dry season or Sharp's Peak North Flank
    Does this top out towards Lantau Peak? I've been wondering how to approach that side of the hill.

Tung Chung to Tai O.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Does this top out towards Lantau Peak? I've been wondering how to approach that side of the hill.
    It ends in the South Heavens Gate which is on the Pak Kung Au side of Lantau Trail, about 750m from the peak.
    jgl likes this.

It ends in the South Heavens Gate which is on the Pak Kung Au side of Lantau Trail, about 750m from the peak.
    Thanks. I've been wondering how to approach that section of the park for a couple of months now. Good to know there are ribbon trails as otherwise the lower sections look like lots of scope for simply getting lost in shrub.

Looks like there's a North Heaven Gate too- have you done that, and if so which one would be more technically interesting?

For me, any number of ribbon trails where you're having to clear your way through as you go, *and* it's steep.

My most difficult hike was Wong Lung Hang trail. It was my first ever hike in Tung Chung/Lantau, I was hopelessly under prepared, wearing jeans, half a bottle of water, no research, no knowledge, no expectations. I gave up multiple times mentally but physically kept going. Once I reached the top and saw how high the Lantau peak, I ran down as fast the steps as I can which still took a good 40mins!

angeluscomplex likes this.

The probably most challenging hike is along Lockhart Rd on a Sunday morning at 4 am, when being completely drunk and left alone by your buddies.

the lower sections look like lots of scope for simply getting lost in shrub.
    Very much so, yes. Don't go alone
    Looks like there's a North Heaven Gate too- have you done that, and if so which one would be more technically interesting?
    South side is way prettier. Technically interesting - not too different I'd say, except that the north side goes straight up without much of a break. South is a bit less steep and has at least some amount of zigzag.
    jgl likes this.

Very much so, yes. Don't go alone

South side is way prettier. Technically interesting - not too different I'd say, except that the north side goes straight up without much of a break. South is a bit less steep and has at least some amount of zigzag.
    Thanks for that, I shall have to try this before it gets wet / warms up too much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast