Like Tree17Likes

most difficult hike in hk?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

most difficult hike in hk?

just wondering what do people here think is the most difficult hike in hk? not in terms of length, but just difficulty. only from "mapped" trails. i thought ng tung chai trail is the most difficult one so far.

Grumbler and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    lol, that is way beyond my ability or any regular folks though.

For a "normal" day hike, I would say Mui Wo to Nong Ping over Sunset and Lantau is pretty challenging. And scenic. Another hard one is Plover Close - mainly because it's quite long with no exits. Pat Sin Leng to Tai Mei Tuk from Hok Tau Reservoir is also a lovely, scenic but quite hard hike.

Grumbler, kittykaitak and Mat like this.

Besides what's already been mentioned, there are quite some challenging hikes in Tuen Mun, up Castle peak or Kau Keng. Not difficult in terms of length, but the trails there suffer from erosion, which makes them slippery as you're walking on gravel. I've seen many regular hikers struggle in this terrain.

Stream hikes can also be quite tough. Lots of climbing over boulders. It's more of a full-body workout.

Grumbler and HK_Katherine like this.

It's the one most difficult to find, so far I have only seen it described in Chinese.

@Trance Omega any input?

Difficult in terms of endurance - Tung Chung - WLH Country Trail Sunset - Lantau - Keung Shan - Ling Wui Shan - One More Shan - Tai O. Alternative - Luk Keng to Bride's Pool to Tai Mei Tuk via Plover Cove. The one mentioned by civil_servant is also very nice - and quite a handful if you do the whole ridge from butterfly beach.
    Difficult in terms of technical skills required - South Heaven Stream in the dry season or Sharp's Peak North Flank
    Difficult in terms of "I want my visitors to say 'Fuck this' as often as possible" - Lantau Peak North Flank or Wong Kung Tin to Lotus Peak on Lantau
    All these are on the country park maps, but except the first one not signposted or major trails.

FWIW, if we're talking about the same Ng Tung Chai trail then any of these is _way_ beyond.

civil_servant, Grumbler and jgl like this.

the twins are pretty rough on HK island

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Difficult in terms of endurance - Tung Chung - WLH Country Trail Sunset - Lantau - Keung Shan - Ling Wui Shan - One More Shan - Tai O. Alternative - Luk Keng to Bride's Pool to Tai Mei Tuk via Plover Cove. The one mentioned by civil_servant is also very nice - and quite a handful if you do the whole ridge from butterfly beach.
    Difficult in terms of technical skills required - South Heaven Stream in the dry season or Sharp's Peak North Flank
    Difficult in terms of "I want my visitors to say 'Fuck this' as often as possible" - Lantau Peak North Flank or Wong Kung Tin to Lotus Peak on Lantau
    All these are on the country park maps, but except the first one not signposted or major trails.

FWIW, if we're talking about the same Ng Tung Chai trail then any of these is _way_ beyond.
    lol yeah, ng tun chai waterfall trail all 4 waterfalls. thought it was pretty difficult, not in terms of distance or intensity. just a lot of rocks and steep parts. thought it was more difficult than lion rock and tai mo. i will try some of these you mentioned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast