Like Tree106Likes

Cycling tips in HK

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

I’m training for an olympic distance triathlon in June, so running, cycling and swimming are all necessary. Daily commute cycling, while not exactly endurance, helps keep up the general fitness and keeps the legs in shape.

Distance rides and runs at the weekends, shorter swims, cycling and running during the week.

I will be in a small rented apartment or flat share and thus getting a bike rack or indoor exercise bike isn’t really an option, hence the need for a locker.

Having been to HK a few times on work trips, I do appreciate that HK has narrower, tighter streets with more erratic drivers (not to mention the buses that drive at insane speeds), but I am used to riding defensively in the middle of the road and holding my position when required here in London. I generally don’t cut between the traffic in London either unless I know the roads, and feel safe about doing so, because I’ve seen too many close encounters and people knocked down before. I’m not a total noob, basically is what I’m saying but of course, I’ve never cycled in HK either :/

I do not intend on riding on the main roads, preferring back streets where possible, to keep the chance of meeting erratic drivers to a minimum.

You could do the ride I suggested in the morning, go for a run at the Happy Valley track or have a swim and shower at Morrison Hill pool, I believe it opens at 6:30am. Both within a minute of the bottom of Stubbs Rd. Heck, if you're a bit bold, you could lock up your bike at the Hong Kong Football Club, walk through the club onto the running track, go back there for a shower and most likely, no one would say anything if you act like you belong.

Forget riding back streets on Hong Kong island, it's not practical and you won't really get anywhere. I mean the way it's portrayed here, you'll get on the road and probably wondered what the big deal is... I think one of the most annoying thing is people(especially minibuses) passing you and then cutting in front of you to stop. It used to bother me but now I expect it and hardly even notice it. I have actually noticed a big improvement over the years cycling on the South Side going to Shek O, I find cars/buses and minibuses give way more room than they used to. I think it's because there are so many more cyclists on the road there and people are slowly getting used to it especially on weekend when it's more relaxed. Lots of triathletes go to Tung Chung and do laps around Disney as it's pretty flat and you can get on aerobars. There's also a nice seawall to run on in Repulse Bay and you can do some open water swimming either there or in Deepwater Bay. You shouldn't have any trouble keeping up with your training in HK, there are loads of people that do and plenty of places to train.

Last edited by Golem; 24-01-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    ndmccormack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    You could do the ride I suggested in the morning, go for a run at the Happy Valley track or have a swim and shower at Morrison Hill pool
    Thank you for your posts, this all sounds perfect. I’ll let you know how I get on

Quote Originally Posted by ndmccormack:
    Thank you for your posts, this all sounds perfect. I’ll let you know how I get on
    It is perfect.
    The running track around Happy Valley race course is one of the few running tracks with enough space for fast intervals.
    There are two pools, to choose from: Morrison or SCAA .
    Tai Hang Road or Blue Pool Road are good uphills to access decent roads on the South Side for cycle riding.
    There's access to a pay-as-you-go spinning studio in Causeway Bay. Some of the tri clubs also have swimming training sessions at the Wan Chai pool.

Original Post Deleted
    This advice is spot on. London has nothing on Hong Kong. For example, some people in London actually look before walking out in front of traffic, vehicles typically signal before making turns, buses actually check before pulling out into traffic and so on. Here in HK none of that occurs. In addition you are going to get old men pushing trolleys out into the street without looking, trams, people stopping (double/triple parking) to let passengers out without any notice, people will open car doors without looking, there are NO cycle paths and lanes are typically very narrow. (Yes, I have tried cycling to work in Hong Kong. I gave up because I valued my life more). And that was not even on the Island, I was in a much less busy area.
    lofuji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    I've noticed some trails on HK island have No Cycling signs. Haven't seen a cyclist on the Pokfulam trials but a friend's dog got spooked by a cyclist near Mid-Levels -Pik Shan Path. Dog ran for its life and was lost for 3 days.
    Most hiking trails do not allow cyclists. The mountain bike paths are specifically designated. Given how busy the hiking trails are, and how clueless all HK locals are (both hikers and cyclists) keeping them apart is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    some people in London actually look before walking out in front of traffic, vehicles typically signal before making turns, buses actually check before pulling out into traffic and so on. Here in HK none of that occurs. In addition you are going to get old men pushing trolleys out into the street without looking
    the no-looking thing drives me crazy. it's actually way more common among pedestrians than drivers (though, obviously, drivers who don't look are a much bigger threat to others than pedestrians who don't look).

you'd think the way to leave a building, for instance, would be: open door; look both ways; step out onto the sidewalk.
    but no...
    instead it's, open door; *do not under any conditions turn your head in either direction*; step out onto the sidewalk.
    HK_Katherine, Elegiaque and lofuji like this.

Hi Niall
    You may think that "the traffic doesn't worry me too much", but you should be aware that a significant number of HK drivers believe that cyclists have no place on HK roads and drive accordingly.

There are a lot of cycling options in the New Territories, although I would advise keeping off the main roads wherever possible.

I'm not sure what you mean about "challenging, but manageable hill climbs". In my opinion, the toughest hill around is "the military road", although I don't think it would be safe on a road bike. Probably what you're looking for is something like the hill up to the MacIntosh fort overlooking the village of Liu Pok. There are quite a few similar hills in the area.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lofuji:
    Hi Niall
    I'm not sure what you mean about "challenging, but manageable hill climbs". In my opinion, the toughest hill around is "the military road", although I don't think it would be safe on a road bike. Probably what you're looking for is something like the hill up to the MacIntosh fort overlooking the village of Liu Pok. There are quite a few similar hills in the area.
    This is on the ride of mountains immediately adjacent to the mainland border? Is there decent hiking up around there or- I had been under the impression that it was inaccessible.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quite a lot of what used to be the "closed area" has been opened up in recent years. The area between Sheung Shui and Lok Ma Chau was opened to the public in 2013, and the area around Ta Kwu Ling in 2016. I'm waiting for the area around Lin Ma Hang and Sha Tau Kok to be opened next.

I'm interested in the cycling opportunities, but I believe that you will also find some good hiking options in these areas.

jgl and imparanoic like this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast