Like Tree2Likes

Hiking Castle Peak

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hiking Castle Peak

I'd like to hike up Castle Peak (and along the ridge to Gon Shan and Yuen Tau Shan) but the hike passes through the Tsing Shan firing range. How do you know when it's safe to go?

I found the following link suggesting there is firing practice every day of the month except Sundays. Does that mean people generally only hike in the area on Sundays? Or do you just have to go and they'll have signs up if the area is closed?

Firing practice for January 2018

There are (or were) a number of hikes up in that area that did not go through the firing range, HOWEVER I believe things have changed recently.

A good hike is (was) from Butterfly Beach up to the peak of Castle Peak. The entrance is very hard to find - look for the gate with a lot of ribbons on it next to the dual carriageway right behind butterfly beach. Then you can walk out down the standard hiking path (which should not be closed, its a proper path) or keep going another the ridge which used to intersect the "road" which comes out into Tuen Mun. But you can keep going across the road and long the ridges until Tin Shui Wai. (That's a good 8 hour hike end to end). Also, the exit down into Tin Shui Wai is very hard to spot and I know a hiking group that got airlifted out when they could not find the exit!
    If instead of going across the road, you can go left and follow this road to the coast. Since this is road/old road it should be relatively safe.

All of the above is based on info prior to the change in firing stuff.......

How about the Yuen Long Ancient Trail?!? That's a great hike!

Do you mean the Yuen Tsuen Ancient Trail? Nowhere near Castle Peak....

MandM! likes this.

I usually do that:

Castle Peak‧Hiking in Hong Kong - WalkOnHill.com

Unless you really have zero experience I wouldn't call the hike very hard, although the last bit up Castle Peak can be a bit sketchy but not much more than most peaks in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I usually do that:

Castle Peak‧Hiking in Hong Kong - WalkOnHill.com

Unless you really have zero experience I wouldn't call the hike very hard, although the last bit up Castle Peak can be a bit sketchy but not much more than most peaks in HK.
    Yes, your "in" was my first "out". Personally I prefer to hike up the loose gravel and down the decent path. But this is a good place to start and perhaps to assess the impact of the firing range. Although I note I did have a friend suggest on a Facebook post that the exit listed in this link is no longer viable due to changes in the firing range. I thought it sounded very odd and don't know the truth of it. Would be good to know if anyone has done this recently.

Quote Originally Posted by 441211:
    How do you know when it's safe to go?
    Presumably if you can hear gunshots, it isn't safe to go
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Thanks for the opinions. It does seem like some trails stay out of the firing range zone, but as I plan to hike the whole ridge to Tin Shui Wai, I think I have no choice but to go through it. I can deal with crappy trails but would prefer to avoid getting shot So best do it on a Sunday I guess.
    @HK_Katherine: A couple of years ago I tried to go from the butterfly beach path and indeed, I couldn't find it! Actually, there was a massive construction site by the road and up the hill making it impossible for me to cross the highway in a place that would allow me to reach the trailhead (or at least where I thought the trailhead was). That was a while ago, so things may be better now, if anyone has any recent reports, it would be good to hear. Thanks for the tip about the Tin Shui Wai end - I'll be taking a headlight then in case I also can't find the exit and need to backtrack. I'd rather suffer extra hours of hiking than call helicopter rescue!

Check openstreetmap. The trailhead is clearly indicated. Just before the construction.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...7249/113.95319

Search around here somewhere.

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@22.3...7i13312!8i6656

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast