Personal Trainer Certificate

Personal Trainer Certificate

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any information regarding PT courses I can take to be an instructor. I got my foundation certificate last year but due to work issues had to postpone. The next step would be to take the / an advanced course which would let me be a PT. So far i've found 2 schools AASFP and NASM. At the moment I'm leaning more towards NASM, but the only ones available are a 2 day course in March and a 6 week course in May for Eng. As I'm a bit nervous about the questions they'll ask I'm not sure on whether I should go ahead with the 2 day course.

I've seen some people say its 120 questions but not sure if that is still up to date. Also wondering if anyone has any experience on the test ( how difficult it is), and can advise any study materials? I'll be checking the libraries to see if they have any books on the stuff but I doubt they'll have any ( I know they provide you with a textbook and online support in the form of videos when you purchase the class but I figured some reading in advance couldn't hurt).

Just for reference, I'm in my mid twenties, male and go to the gym about 4-5 days a week, basically want to get into PT cause I like bodybuilding.

Appreciate any advice and information I can get, and would be good to talk to anyone in a similar situation.

I happen to know a few personal trainers here. Most of them are native Chinese speakers, because, apparently, most of the clients are. Something to bear in mind...

We have had a large number of English speaking PT clients come to us for the First Aid / CPR element of the certification course. Many of them did not join AASFP or NASM but were taking online courses from the USA as they planned to continue as PTs when they returned home. The gyms they were targeting to work at in HK accepted certifications from abroad. Have you considered other certifying organisations outside of AASFP and NASM?

I can speak Cantonese, just can't read or write very well.

Yeah I know of a quite a few trainers who have gotten their qualifications abroad but as I'm in HK now I figured I'd get the certificate here. Plus the reason why I'm considering nasm and aasfp is because a few pt friends recommended them. Just wondered if anyone had more information or recommendations.

There are online practice tests. If this one is anything to go by, this is an 'exam' which is designed to be as easy as possible, to get as many people into the industry as possible. I just got 10/15 on this, and know nothing about anatomy or nutrition:

https://www.mometrix.com/academy/nasm-practice-test/

Sample question:

All of the following classes of nutrients provide sources of energy EXCEPT
    vitamins
    proteins
    carbohydrates
    fats

Do you really need to take the course, or could you just read the book and do the exam? If you want to work as a PT in Hong Kong, surely the 'certificate' is just to satisfy a tickbox anyway? The majority of PTs in commercial gyms seem to have some certification, yet know next to nothing about effective training, so just get the easiest/cheapest one.

And an official study guide here:

https://www.nasm.org/docs/PDF/nasm-c...tudy_final.pdf
    Last edited by jgl; 07-02-2018 at 01:32 PM.

@jgl

Thanks for the info, appreciate you sending the stuff. I managed to find a few books in the library so studying up, plus I have a genuine interest in the area so that helps.

I know what you mean by the "PTs" I know some good ones but the majority I've seen in some gyms are disgraceful. The wrong form they show their clients are not only dangerous but most seem to be going through the motions.

At the end of the day the certificate is pretty meaningless but can't teach without one. I was just curious as to how hard the exam was cause I received mixed comments about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiddy:
    @jgl
    At the end of the day the certificate is pretty meaningless but can't teach without one. I was just curious as to how hard the exam was cause I received mixed comments about it.
    If it's inexpensive to sit, and if there are no limits on how many times or how frequently you can re-take it, it might be worth just putting minimal effort into study. If you fail the first time, study a little bit more and re-take it.

I would not usually advocate this approach to a professional qualification, but I don't believe that studying for this would make anyone a more effective trainer, it's just a checkbox.

I rather just study for it properly the first time, than half ass it and fail. I wouldn't say it's extremely expensive but it's around 8k-9k which I prefer not to spend several times.