Like Tree49Likes

Can Cycling Thrive in Hong Kong?

Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,274

    Can Cycling Thrive in Hong Kong?

    https://zolimacitymag.com/hong-kong-...g-thrive-here/

    New Territories, maybe. Kowloon and Hong Kong Island, probably not?

    Was hoping the article would talk about Hong Kong's climate. Even if the gov is willing to build a decent enough cycling network on HKI in the future, who is going to ride their bike to work in the middle of July/August in ~35C weather under the sun?
    MandM! likes this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New Territories West
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy
    who is going to ride their bike to work in the middle of July/August in ~35C weather under the sun?
    I would. I used to live in a village where I could ride on cycle paths to work...you sweat less riding steadily 10 kms than you do walking with bags and negotiating public transport.

    I stopped riding to one of the locations because the cleaners complained my bike was taking up too much room and I stopped working at the other place.

    The main problem is parking in my view and I'm very hopeful that the sharp price drop we're seeing in share bikes will make it a very viable alternative to mini-buses, taxis and even big buses.
    irisboards likes this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy
    https://zolimacitymag.com/hong-kong-...g-thrive-here/

    New Territories, maybe. Kowloon and Hong Kong Island, probably not?

    Was hoping the article would talk about Hong Kong's climate. Even if the gov is willing to build a decent enough cycling network on HKI in the future, who is going to ride their bike to work in the middle of July/August in ~35C weather under the sun?
    That's what people said about people riding bikes in the middle of winter when it's -20 and snowing in places like Montreal or Toronto yet it's more popular than ever and Toronto now keeps their Bixi fleet going year round and Montreal is testing new ways to clear snow from their bike paths. There's nothing extreme about HK's climate and it's hardly worth mentioning...

    It goes like this, if there's a decent infrastructure, people will start using it. The more people that commutes will start to get offices to incorporate showers in offices and make spaces for storage. The north side of HK island would a fantastic place to commute if there was a path along the waterfront. It would likely be faster than public transport, you save time and money, get some exercise as a bonus and hopefully reduce traffic and pollution.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New Territories West
    Posts
    1,362

    The argument about it being dangerous is circular. It will stop being so dangerous if cycling becomes common place.

    The argument about the climate is nonsense...Hong Kong is the only country in Asia that I know of where cycling is not encouraged/common.

    Parking = Solved in Beijing, same solution would work here.
    Sweat = Take a towel and clean shirt to work.

    irisboards likes this.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,829

    Cycling is already thriving in Hong Kong.

    The growth in shops, riders, bike sharing has been phenomenal in the past 10 years. Of course, it's no Amsterdam. The infrastructure is behind the trend.

    jayinhongkong and lofuji like this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese
    The argument about the climate is nonsense...Hong Kong is the only country in Asia that I know of where cycling is not encouraged/common.
    How is it encouraged anymore in Jakarta, Bangkok and Manila than in Hong Kong? Minimal cycling paths, minimal bike sharing network like HK, not much commuting to work there either.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Cycling is already thriving in Hong Kong.

    The growth in shops, riders, bike sharing has been phenomenal in the past 10 years. Of course, it's no Amsterdam. The infrastructure is behind the trend.
    I agree that cycling is more popular than ever. There used to be only one decent bike shop and it was Flying Ball and now there are many more and it's also reflected on the road. On weekends in Shek O, there are dozens of people riding, many large groups and I've noticed a significant improvement from drivers on the South Side who know know and expect there will be riders on the road. Twenty years ago, you would see maybe a dozen of riders on weekends. Same goes for the Tung Chung/Sunny Bay area... There's an excellent velodrome for track cycling. It's the government that is seriously lagging behind...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,330

    Cycling doesn't have to focus on commuter cyclist going to work. Plenty of other reasons to cycle. I've been using the share bikes even though I have bikes at home. Just find it more convenient to take those, throw them around and park them anywhere and not have to worry.

    SpeakCantonese likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New Territories West
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    How is it encouraged anymore in Jakarta, Bangkok and Manila than in Hong Kong? Minimal cycling paths, minimal bike sharing network like HK, not much commuting to work there either.
    encouraged/common

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,829

    To increase commuting by bike, I'd suggest to move businesses to where the cycling infrastructure already exists vs moving cycling infrastructure to the already very dense business areas. These areas should then be further developed for mixed use development. As it currently stands, many people commute far distances to urban areas. Good biking infrastructure will not convince those people to switch to bikes. People in urban areas may benefit, but then again, the additional infrastructure for safe biking and bicycle storage would just further exacerbate foot and road congestion.

    East_coast likes this.

Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast