Like Tree27Likes

Tour de France Saturday 7 July - Sunday 29 July 2018

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    There are still many many hard mountain stages to go... The Tour de France is not about a couple of stages, it's about enduring three hard week of racing. Let's start by seeing what will happen next on Alpe d'Huez
    Yes, that is stating the obvious. Which is why I said Sky dominated TODAY, they could implode up Alpe d'Huez or any time. Look what happened to Simon Yates (and others) in Italy. Personally I don't think they will but there are many riders still in this. Loving it as usual.
    Tom007 likes this.

Will be gruelling today that's for sure

Tour de France stage winners on Alpe d’Huez since 2006

2006 - Fränk Schleck (Stage 15 - 187 km)
    2008 - Carlos Sastre (17 - 210.5 km)
    2011 - Pierre Rolland (19 - 109.5 km)
    2013 - Christophe Riblon (18 - 172.5 km)
    2015 - Thibaut Pinot (20 - 110.5 km)
    2018 - ??? (12 - 175.5 km)

hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yes, that is stating the obvious. Which is why I said Sky dominated TODAY, they could implode up Alpe d'Huez or any time. Look what happened to Simon Yates (and others) in Italy. Personally I don't think they will but there are many riders still in this. Loving it as usual.
    You said it might come down the the penultimate stage which is the time trial. That is far too early to say that with so many mountain stages to come. Personally, I doubt that it will be the case, it will not significantly change the classification but crown the winner. We'll see

You said it might come down the the penultimate stage which is the time trial. That is far too early to say that with so many mountain stages to come. Personally, I doubt that it will be the case, it will not significantly change the classification but crown the winner. We'll see
    I meant between Froome and Thomas in the Sky fight for supremacy.

Here is a question. The last stage of any Grand Tour is always a procession. What happens though if there was only a second or two between the top two riders? Don't remember this ever happening but if it did would the one who was only a second behind really not challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I meant between Froome and Thomas in the Sky fight for supremacy.
    That generally does not happen within a team. It's not how cycling works and your scenario is extremely unlikely. A team has to work for one leader and can't support two. The only way Thomas wins the Tour is if Froome falters. Thomas will either move to a different team to be the leader or Frrome will step aside for him.

Always remember that the winner's prize money is shared by all team members in the Tour de France

That generally does not happen within a team. It's not how cycling works and your scenario is extremely unlikely. A team has to work for one leader and can't support two. The only way Thomas wins the Tour is if Froome falters. Thomas will either move to a different team to be the leader or Frrome will step aside for him.
    Yes in every case until now but I have a feeling this might be different. Currently Froome is the team leader but Thomas has a free hand. Will Thomas be called back to support Froome if needed, just can't see that happening with Thomas in yellow.

The same question was asked some years back when Wiggins was the leader and Froome the aspiring champion. At some point Froome attacked pethaps to demonstrate that he was ready to take over from Wiggins but he fell back in line. You can't win the tour by yourself, Sky is in a great position in case Froome falters and I imagine the director is coaxing both riders but the rest of the team will continue to support Froome unless he shows cracks and Thomas will eventually fall in line. I would be very surprised to see them duke it out in the time trial

Stage 12 under way

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast