Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By PackerFan
  • 1 Post By Bbcrisp
  • 2 Post By PackerFan
  • 1 Post By lewlewz02
  • 1 Post By Tarang Moulree

Badminton?

Red face Badminton?

Anyone want to form a group and learn some badminton?

I'm female, advance beginner level.

I can try booking government courts but they're hard to book after 6:00. Anyone with access to badminton court facility (residential facilities / club facilities) is extremely welcome!

Secretsquirrel3 likes this.

Hi Bbcrisp!

I picked up the sport badminton living here in Hong Kong and I love it! The easiest way that I have found to find a group to play is via the meetup app. You can create an account on meetup.com and search badminton and there are at least a dozen groups.

There is an admin/host who will book the courts and provide the shuttles and ask each person to pay, it's around $60 or so depending on how many people participate (check the specific meetup for costs and court details).

Personally I'm in HK Happy Badminton Group. They have courts booked DAILY separated by level: Advanced Beginner, Lower Intermediate, and Intermediate.

It's a quick way to meet lots of people participating in this great sport! Just note the spots fill up fast, so it's better to find a day 7-10 days in advance and sign up. You can PM me if you want to join the whatsapp group as they post any openings for sessions coming up in the next day or so.

I suggest joining a few badminton meetup groups just to try out different areas, groups, and increase your chances to find the timings, courts, dates that are most suitable for you.

I hope you get to play soon!!

Secretsquirrel3 and Mommy G like this.

I am kind to buddy up for badminton learning, I moved from the UK to HK for work almost 2 years ago and its been so hard to find a stable group to learn badminton, I am AB level myself, most groups I find in HK for adults are either the super laid back "6 to 10 persons adults session" or a range of 1 on 1 coaches. I have joined some meetup games in the past but I do prefer to have proper training sessions in the mix.

Go to the adult lessons, meet people and talk to them, including the coaches. Typically a coach has his own private classes outside of those organized group classes with much better skill.

About badminton... does anyone know where i get my rackets stringed for cheap?
    Actually my son has a pair of Goma rackets, and after hitting them on the floor for many times, caused the string to break.
    I don't want to buy new rackets just because of the string, but don't know if getting them stringed would cost more than a new pair of cheap rackets.

Quote Originally Posted by gataloca:
    About badminton... does anyone know where i get my rackets stringed for cheap?
    Actually my son has a pair of Goma rackets, and after hitting them on the floor for many times, caused the string to break.
    I don't want to buy new rackets just because of the string, but don't know if getting them stringed would cost more than a new pair of cheap rackets.

Gigasports in any of the malls will do it (I've done it at Pacific Place before), I don't recall the price, but it's not the price of a new racket. They take 1-2 days.

I know there is a specialty shop in Mong Kok that is just for badminton. The price for restringing is cheaper $70-$100 range, and they can do it same day. Sorry I can't recall the name of the shop.
    gataloca and Secretsquirrel3 like this.

Cheap rackets and strings are similar costs. I've seen rackets under $100 and strings the same. Depends at your skill level and what you want.

Hi,

I am Tarang, 47 years old male.

I am looking to join a group of badminton players.

I can play regularly at intermediate level.

We can hire a indoor court in Kowloon Park.

Please contact me on 5501 0972.

Thanks, Tarang