Like Tree35Likes

Cornered by feral monkeys on Wilson Trail

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Circulate:
    At least it might remind them there are bigger things in life than not being allowed on their N64 after supper.
    N64? Don't be so modern. Surely you mean commodore 64
    Jerome HK and Kowloon Goon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Pff, the monkeys are cute and good fun to visit with kids, leave them alone.
    Actually they are are aggressive flea ridden pieces of shit. Totally agree with the OP and have had similar experiences. One bit me for no reason; another tried but was beaten back by a local who saw me in trouble and found a stick. There are FAR too many of them. They need serious culling. And prosecution for any local feeding them.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    You probably caved in to your fears and is why they felt confident to corner you and force you into giving up food, which you should never ever do.

Out in the wild/ regular hiking trail, you should always present your self confidently and as large as you can. This should fend off most animals - probably helps even more if you are big and tall before hand
    It doesn't always work on Golden Hill Road. Too many stupid locals feed them and they have no fear of people at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    One bit me for no reason
    He probably read a few of your rants

It's easy, if you don't like the monkeys don't go where they are. I've fed them plenty of times and always bring visitors to see them. They aren't dangerous if you approach them with common sense.
    rs4 likes this.

It will work, no matter how many of these little critters there are surrounding you. You do not cave in no matter how noisy or numerous they are. You stand tall and aggressively hold them back with body language and eye contact. Monkeys are hustlers... and they will try to hustle as much as they can. They also know who's boss too and will walk away if you keep your ground.

What they teach you in documentaries is actually true. You just need to believe it works for wild animals. It certainly works on humans too - perhaps not after an aggressor has had 20 Jaeger Bombs though

How are the monkeys with dogs? Do they back down from dogs? I think I will need to borrow a large dog in that case before I go hiking where there are monkeys...

Go hiking on Lantau or HK Island then. The monkeys in Lion's rock are really aggressive, but they don't cause as much damage as some people visiting from the north....

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Go hiking on Lantau or HK Island then. The monkeys in Lion's rock are really aggressive, but they don't cause as much damage as some people visiting from the north....
    Get that racist shit outta here.
    civil_servant likes this.

The alpha males are pretty scary. But I did see government workers feeding them on monkey hill. There are feeding cages there.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    Get that racist shit outta here.
    oh wow, i didn't know people would get offended by telling people to hike somewhere else