Like Tree35Likes

Cornered by feral monkeys on Wilson Trail

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cornered by feral monkeys on Wilson Trail

I was hiking section 6 of the Wilson trail today around 5pm (from memory it was after marker 64 but before 65) and it was crawling with filthy, territorial feral monkeys. They were hanging out on the path in packs, straggly females with babies and mean-looking males guarding them, half of whom seemed to be missing eyes.

I got around a few sets despite hisses and being charged at by the meaner ones, and then found myself trapped between two particularly large, nasty males who didn't want to let me go either forwards or backwards and were looking pretty unimpressed at my presence and aggressive, and looked like they were going to charge if I approached them.

Well I broke the rules and got the last of my seeds out and scattered them around judiciously, unsurprisingly legions more appeared from either side and above but I was at least able to beat an escape and as luck would have it I was just about at the end of that part of the trail so ran off across a bridge unscathed although with a large crowd of monkeys following for more.

I had been told that monkeys were only aggressive when after food but that just isn't true - when they are doing their 5pm promenade with the ladies and baby monkeys in the late afternoon sun they become super-aggressive when approached on the narrow paths of the trails. These vermin need to be culled, they are diseased and it's only a matter of time until someone is seriously hurt.

Monkey brain soup for me tonight.

Pff, the monkeys are cute and good fun to visit with kids, leave them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Circulate:
    Well I broke the rules and got the last of my seeds out and scattered them around judiciously.

These vermin need to be culled, they are diseased and it's only a matter of time until someone is seriously hurt.

Monkey brain soup for me tonight.
    If a human gets out of line, as you say yourself, breaking the rules -- sorry, it's actually the law -- that's all right, but if a monkey makes a human uncomfortable we need to kill them! Because heaven forbid a human get "hurt". Sometimes I think the culling should work the other way...

Thanks for making the situation worse for the next people...

To help wild monkeys revert to thecountryside for natural food, theAgriculture, Fisheries and ConservationDepartment (AFCD) has prohibited thefeeding of wild animals in the major wildmonkey habitats such as Lion Rock, KamShan and Shing Mun Country Parks underCap. 170, since 1999. Any personcontravening the feeding restriction will beliable to a maximum fine of $10,000 uponconviction.

When a wild monkey is posing immediate threats to life and property or is being abused, you should call 999 for emergency assistance. If you are harassed by wild mo keys you may call 1823 to notify AFCD for follow-up actions
    And if you really want to help with those horrible vermin that need to be culled, why don't you donate to the AFCD or SPCA to help with this program:
    In order to control the population growth of wild monkeys, a large scale contraceptive programme has been launched by AFCD since 2007. The monkeys are caught by using a giant trapping. cage, and are then sent to receive d ifferent contraceptive treatments, including endoscopic tubectomy for females. According to the population survey in recent years, the total population and overall birth rate of local wíld monkeys have experienced a downward trend.
    https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/cons...onkeys_OCR.pdf
    shri and rsl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You can't visit and leave them alone them at the same time.

They do bite and I would certainly prepare when I walk there. Don't hold any bag in your hand, maybe a stick is OK. Don't look at them.

goodkat was clearly not being serious.

I'd agree with the OP rather that go all high horsey. Those monkeys are dangerous, made much more so by idiotic human activity seen around there (people turning up with loads of food, just to feed them, which is insane).

In this case, there is something to be said for culling both ways.

markranson likes this.

Monday rant

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    goodkat was clearly not being serious.

I'd agree with the OP rather that go all high horsey. Those monkeys are dangerous, made much more so by idiotic human activity seen around there (people turning up with loads of food, just to feed them, which is insane).

In this case, there is something to be said for culling both ways.
    I once witnessed a woman on Golden Hill Rd. feeding the monkeys out of her hand -- with her kids no less -- getting snapped at by the monkey, and then getting angry at the monkeys and swinging a stick at them. If only there were a way to cull her.

If you don't like the monkeys, hike elsewhere. We don't like them either, and so we choose to hike in other places. Best to leave them alone instead of getting upset at them, not following the rules, and making the problem worse.

Yes, I saw feeding of monkeys in Japan as well, bad idea...as soon as the food ran out, the monkeys attacked. From the time I was little I did not like monkeys so I would avoid anywhere they are- they have all been fed so I think will pester humans for food...and, as above, by being a little nasty, it WORKED! They got seeds. So all the more incentive to be nasty again...

You probably caved in to your fears and is why they felt confident to corner you and force you into giving up food, which you should never ever do.

Out in the wild/ regular hiking trail, you should always present your self confidently and as large as you can. This should fend off most animals - probably helps even more if you are big and tall before hand

mrgoodkat, Drunken Master and rs4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Next time your kids are moaning that you won't take them to Disneyland, just hike them up past Tai Po Road to meet Scar, Buster and General Woundwort for the immersive Planet of the Apes experience. It's definitely something they won't hold against you for the rest of their lives.

At least it might remind them there are bigger things in life than not being allowed on their N64 after supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    but if a monkey makes a human uncomfortable we need to kill them
    Snowflake
    juanalias likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast