Like Tree37Likes

Brit swimmer snubs Chinese winner in Gwangju

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Well, it seems to him it's all about winning or losing.
    Such people tend to go to extreme lengths.
    What happened to sportsmanship ?

Quote Originally Posted by rathunt:
    From my understanding he has been caught, found guilty and served a ban once and is now currently allowed to compete ahead of another hearing in September for "allegedly smashing vials of blood samples with a hammer during a routine out-of-competition drug test". Bottom line is he is a proven cheat and I would say fair game to protest him being there and allowed to compete given these circumstances.
    At some point you have to draw a line and say when is the punishment enough. Of course, if people is of the opinion that anything drug related warrants a lifetime ban, that is fair as well. However the issue then is with the governing body to codify that.

Anyway not a fan of Sun but what Horton/Scott did is not classy either. If Sun is guilty he will get his due in September.
    UK/HKboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aceofangel:
    At some point you have to draw a line and say when is the punishment enough. Of course, if people is of the opinion that anything drug related warrants a lifetime ban, that is fair as well. However the issue then is with the governing body to codify that.

Anyway not a fan of Sun but what Horton/Scott did is not classy either. If Sun is guilty he will get his due in September.
    Agree but i personally don't think you are anywhere near the line of forgiveness when you are a proven cheat AND pending investigation for further offences.
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Well, it seems to him it's all about winning or losing.
    Such people tend to go to extreme lengths.
    What happened to sportsmanship ?
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser"

Shame but the most successful people in sports (and in life) tend to have this mentality to win at all costs. Sportmanship is a bit different but both the British swimmer and the Chinese swimmer are guilty. I think sportsmanship, you still shake hands at the end of the race and accept you lost - let the authorities decide whether its cheating or not.

Presumably whatever he got caught with before is not still in his system now and for this competition right?

Does that not mean he “won” this fairly even if he (allegedly) cheated on ones previously?

No idea, I have to admit Sun's behavior prior to this is very questionable at best. But then again I grew up in a country where the legal system (at least on paper) is 'innocent until proven guilty'. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Presumably whatever he got caught with before is not still in his system now and for this competition right?

Does that not mean he “won” this fairly even if he (allegedly) cheated on ones previously?
    I believe that the real advantage of most performance enhancing drugs is not that they provide an instant performance boost, but they allow the user to recover faster from training, which means they can train harder between events. You don't need them in your system during the event itself, and this is why testing is frequent, irregularly scheduled, and not simply limited to events.
    UK/HKboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I believe that the real advantage of most performance enhancing drugs is not that they provide an instant performance boost, but they allow the user to recover faster from training, which means they can train harder between events. You don't need them in your system during the event itself, and this is why testing is frequent, irregularly scheduled, and not simply limited to events.
    And recover quicker from injury.

Before I read what he had done, assuming it is true, I had some sympathy for him. But smashing samples with a hammer? I would have snubbed him as well.

Allegedly smashed the samples with a hammer LOL

GentleGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    Allegedly smashed the samples with a hammer LOL
    Which is why I wrote "assuming it is true".