Like Tree37Likes

Brit swimmer snubs Chinese winner in Gwangju

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Aussie guy snubbed him first a couple of days ago. He got slapped with an official warning from the governing body FINA. But then that night at the athletes village dining room he got a standing ovation from all the other swimmers. Now the British guy has done the same, Sun's got pissed off, both of them have warnings now too. So all 3 have the same warning. This is turning into a bit of a mess, if Sun gets cleared and competes in Tokyo next year should be some great fireworks!

jgl and Natfixit like this.

This is the reason why I gave up competitive swimming.

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aceofangel:
    At some point you have to draw a line and say when is the punishment enough. Of course, if people is of the opinion that anything drug related warrants a lifetime ban, that is fair as well. However the issue then is with the governing body to codify that.

Anyway not a fan of Sun but what Horton/Scott did is not classy either. If Sun is guilty he will get his due in September.
    I think there is a juicy detail that is being missed here: After hammering the vials, Fina, the world swimming body, exonerated him (!!) saying it’s a minor issue and it’s Wada, the world athletics anti doping body, that had to intervene and bring it up for review in September. Fina clearly did this to appease the Chinese and for political reasons - doping corruption as always

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Which is why I wrote "assuming it is true".
    Sure, I just paraphrased for emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    I think there is a juicy detail that is being missed here: After hammering the vials, Fina, the world swimming body, exonerated him (!!) saying it’s a minor issue and it’s Wada, the world athletics anti doping body, that had to intervene and bring it up for review in September. Fina clearly did this to appease the Chinese and for political reasons - doping corruption as always
    It would appear that FINA's rules seem to be the issue rather than the swimmer. Swimmers from all nations will get caught at some point. If a repeat offence clearly appears to occurred it would seem seem sensible to suspend until investigation / case complete. Being suspended while investigation into a serious and likely allegation is surely a common approach. Obviously some sort of appeal system if evidence is lacking etc

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It would appear that FINA's rules seem to be the issue rather than the swimmer. Swimmers from all nations will get caught at some point. If a repeat offence clearly appears to occurred it would seem seem sensible to suspend until investigation / case complete. Being suspended while investigation into a serious and likely allegation is surely a common approach. Obviously some sort of appeal system if evidence is lacking etc
    Yeah he got off on a technicality, and is allowed to compete on that. It's clearly a joke to everyone else. Not sure why FINA couldn't override their technical issue on basis that this decision is totally ridiculous. Nobody even disputes the account that his mom ordered their bodyguard to destroy the vials. When you destroy the evidence (directly or indirectly) you should get banned. It's clear intent to destroy evidence. The way he is strutting around like he's some kind of king just makes people hate him even more. Then again, the media in China still has him as a hero of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I believe that the real advantage of most performance enhancing drugs is not that they provide an instant performance boost, but they allow the user to recover faster from training, which means they can train harder between events. You don't need them in your system during the event itself, and this is why testing is frequent, irregularly scheduled, and not simply limited to events.
    And also the training they do even 5 to 10 years ago using drugs, means they have bigger muscles or twitch fibres etc. That's why most people advocate a lifetime ban for drugs, because using it earlier in the career could still benefit them later in their career even when not using.
    drumbrake likes this.

Was just watching some Chinese news and Sun is being hero worshipped now. As much as I think it is more fun to defend China, it would be great if the Chinese government and public become confident enough to call out one of their own.

Yeah, sure. Teach the sheep to bark.