Like Tree15Likes

Kayaking to Macau from HK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

@hike - try looking for Hillian Siu in the surfing community sites.

The solo crossing will count on the support of a small team of five, who will travel nearby in a boat and offer assistance in an emergency.

Simon Holliday, a Hong Kong resident who swam the crossing between the two regions a few years back, encountered an immigration issue upon reaching his Macau beach destination.

Regarding the immigration issue, Siu said, “we are aware of the [bureaucratic] difficulties and our plan is in fact not to reach land in Macau but to jump back on the boat after reaching a defined ‘finish line’ and from there go with the crew to do a proper immigration check.”

She said that, technically, the crossing will be done by boat. “But there is nothing that says that I can’t do a watersports activity during this boat trip.”
    Another guy by the name Simon Holliday has done an even scarier trip - swimming to Macau. You might be able to find him if he is still in HK.

https://macaudailytimes.com.mo/adven...undraiser.html
    Elegiaque and CharSiuNow like this.

You could also contact the various outrigger clubs. They have experience organising support boats for races. They've also done at least one round trip to Macau, but suspect that was a one-off (it's not like it would be a particularly attractive route).

If you cannot find Hillian, may be the reporter from Macau Times or SCMP might be able to forward your info to her.

This is the guy who swam from HK to Macau.

https://hk.linkedin.com/in/simon-holliday-0934a513

Check your life and health insurance terms before departure.

Quote Originally Posted by PBPBPBPB
    Check your life and health insurance terms before departure.
    They do not stipulate immigration clearance procedures, but thanks for the smart suggestion. As long as my passage is legal, and as kayaking is not considered dangerous, I will be covered.

MO-HK is just under 60km and with a bridge and islands to hop on/off in case of emergency, and with no shortage of police around, it should be safe. As long as I’m legally allowed to cross Chinese waters, I shouldn’t get in trouble if calling CN police in an emergency. I might have to pay for services rendered, which is fair, but not to be arrested.

I’ve crossed a narrow strip of Adriatico (Italy FVG to Croatia) but not solo. Experience isn’t a problem.
    Last edited by hike; 06-12-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Clarification

outward bound took some people as well (kayaking) but when I called they weren’t eager to pass me anyone who knew immigration issues. I’m afraid outrigger clubs would be the same. If I ain’t paying huge member fees, they ain’t interested...

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    @hike - try looking for Hillian Siu in the surfing community sites.

Another guy by the name Simon Holliday has done an even scarier trip - swimming to Macau. You might be able to find him if he is still in HK.

https://macaudailytimes.com.mo/adven...undraiser.html

Pop in to Immigration Tower and ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by hike
    outward bound took some people as well (kayaking) but when I called they weren’t eager to pass me anyone who knew immigration issues. I’m afraid outrigger clubs would be the same. If I ain’t paying huge member fees, they ain’t interested...
    The outrigger clubs are run by approachable people, they do it for because they're nutty sportspeople and not because there's money in it.

Quote Originally Posted by hike
    They do not stipulate immigration clearance procedures, but thanks for the smart suggestion. As long as my passage is legal, and as kayaking is not considered dangerous, I will be covered.

MO-HK is just under 60km and with a bridge and islands to hop on/off in case of emergency, and with no shortage of police around, it should be safe. As long as I’m legally allowed to cross Chinese waters, I shouldn’t get in trouble if calling CN police in an emergency. I might have to pay for services rendered, which is fair, but not to be arrested.

I’ve crossed a narrow strip of Adriatico (Italy FVG to Croatia) but not solo. Experience isn’t a problem.
    Your experience are in places where the maritime "rules of the road" are generally observed. Not necessarily the case in mainland waters. Some of those boat and ships can go whichever way they like with improper or no lighting at all. Don't have expectations they will yield or dodge you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2