Like Tree75Likes

No gym for weeks at Pure :-(

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe
    Yes, however the guy
    I was referring to was a local gym manager of a international company. (contracted/saleried) They've just said he's not needed.
    Is it really a surprise that folks are losing their jobs in this unprecedented event, where the worlds major economies are being shut down in a way nobody alive has ever seen? You do realise that 3.3 million new people applied for unemployment benefit last WEEK in the USA alone?

Something like gym membership which is highly discretionary at the best of times is always going to be on the front lines of any economic downturn. By the way, it is salaried not saleried - I guess you were not an English teacher? Ah, what do you care, you are retiring anyway right?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    I am not anti gym.

We are only allowed out to buy food and then only at certain times.
    Only one person per household
    Not at all if you are under 18 or over 60.
    There is no public transport.
    Restaurants, bars, gyms are closed.
    You could only go hiking if you can walk there and not down the road (you would be stopped).

It is possible.
    You are in Philippines - a place with a very poor health system, no control over the spread and a high risk of bad outcomes. We are in HK - a place with some degree of control over the virus spread where most of the population are quite virus-aware. If the OP is staying within the law I see no reason why he cannot continue going to any gym he can still find open (which is the hard part). Exercise is good for the immune system. With the very limited community transmission we have in HK, it's not a high risk for him or society at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    You are in Philippines - a place with a very poor health system, no control over the spread and a high risk of bad outcomes. We are in HK - a place with some degree of control over the virus spread where most of the population are quite virus-aware. If the OP is staying within the law I see no reason why he cannot continue going to any gym he can still find open (which is the hard part). Exercise is good for the immune system. With the very limited community transmission we have in HK, it's not a high risk for him or society at this point.
    Yes I heard the same in the UK. 260 deaths in the past 24 hours.

I agree that measures should be adapted to the situations. We've been at this for a couple of months in HK and the clusters of cases have come from large social gatherings(weddings, bars, churches) and not from taking public transport(apart from the returnees on planes) or places of leisure where social distancing is fairly easy like gyms, cinemas, hiking trails, parks or bowling alleys. Comparing with the UK, Italy or the Phil isn't really relevant at this point. Singapore would be a better point of reference and they have more cases than HK.

Things are not perfect but so far, HK isn't part of the problem and has been at least maintaining a lid on it and the current resurgence of cases have nothing to do with gyms, cinemas, hiking trails, golf courses or bowling alleys having been open.

HK_Katherine and work2live like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Is it really a surprise that folks are losing their jobs in this unprecedented event, where the worlds major economies are being shut down in a way nobody alive has ever seen? You do realise that 3.3 million new people applied for unemployment benefit last WEEK in the USA alone?

Something like gym membership which is highly discretionary at the best of times is always going to be on the front lines of any economic downturn. By the way, it is salaried not saleried - I guess you were not an English teacher? Ah, what do you care, you are retiring anyway right?
    Why do you need to be so negative and constantly try to put people down. Does it make you feel good?

If course I'm not surprised by loss of jobs, I'm am very aware of what is going on. I was just making a comment about my own immediate experience on a thread about gyms.

My own son has immediately become unemployed in the UK and has very little savings to fall back on because he is a low earner so I also have very close experience of freelance/self employed workers.

As for spelling and grammar I am perfectly aware of my errors posting online on social media but this is not work and I tend not to bother on such nicities in such situations. Life's too short.

And yes, not an English teacher. I'm a Musician. Good English is not a key part of a being a good Musician or being able to teach it. Although, I do take more care and effort in a professional situation.
    Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 29-03-2020 at 10:14 AM.

The recent increase in infected cases is imported mostly. Infection not made at gyms, cinemas and sporting centres. People breaching quarantine and walking around. They are the one responsible but we are made to pay the price. Virus outbreak shows no sign of subsiding. It makes you feel bad when you read that more shops getting closed and more people unemployed every day.

BTW, after the imposed ban, I see that more people talking about how to cope with no gym the following two weeks on another social platform. So I am not alone :-)

Quote Originally Posted by work2live
    The recent increase in infected cases is imported mostly. Infection not made at gyms, cinemas and sporting centres. People breaching quarantine and walking around. They are the one responsible but we are made to pay the price. Virus outbreak shows no sign of subsiding. It makes you feel bad when you read that more shops getting closed and more people unemployed every day.

BTW, after the imposed ban, I see that more people talking about how to cope with no gym the following two weeks on another social platform. So I am not alone :-)
    What fraction of 1% of the world's population go to a gym? There are people with zero income because of the virus, people starving, thousands dying. Just think how fortunate and privileged you are and stop worrying about not being able to go to the gym for a few weeks. It is a pain but really compared to the hell others are going through it is nothing.

Think of the greater suffering of others each time you get withdrawal pangs. Take up volunteering to help the more disadvantaged to fill the time.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7