Like Tree15Likes

Running motivation when there are no races

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thought about it some more and here are some suggestions which you may or may not do already.

It seems you already do that but if you set some goals for each of your training sessions, it may help. One tempo, sets of repeats like 4x1 or 10 x 400 (easy enough to measure using a Garmin watch these days) and your long run. I find satisfaction in achieving set goals. Once a month, your tempo can act as a race and you can pick a common Strava course.

I know that Zwift has a running community but never tried it.

You can also make kick ass playlists to match your training sessions. I personally enjoy learning languages so I've also listened to language lessons on long runs. I like to practice some mindfulness but I'm definitely not the burning sage and banging a gong type and I think running and swimming are great for that, the pacing is rhythmic and it's good to focus on your breathing. Depending on effort, I may use a 2-2, 3-2 or 4-2 matching strides and inhale-exhale. On good days, I can achieve a form of relaxing meditative state in moderate effort runs.

For me, having a routine is key and penciling my workouts and what I will do in them for the week ahead of time in my schedule is important. If it's loosy goosy, I might skip here and there.

I also try to read articles or watch videos relating to the workouts I want to do in a week. Runner's World has good stuff on running and I like Jeff Cavaliere from Athlean X for gym stuff. Keeps my workout fresh and varied. Good times to do some 400 challenges with gym closed, I'll be doing that and a run tomorrow.

I'm a lone wolf and prefer to work out alone but many enjoy the social aspects, you can try to find a workout buddy if you don't have one already. Can even be virtual these days.

I also noticed that in my Strava feed which relates but haven't gone through it:

https://whywerun.strava.com/?chapter...16468668104007

Kowloon72 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Thought about it some more and here are some suggestions which you may or may not do already.

It seems you already do that but if you set some goals for each of your training sessions, it may help. One tempo, sets of repeats like 4x1 or 10 x 400 (easy enough to measure using a Garmin watch these days) and your long run. I find satisfaction in achieving set goals. Once a month, your tempo can act as a race and you can pick a common Strava course.

I know that Zwift has a running community but never tried it.

You can also make kick ass playlists to match your training sessions. I personally enjoy learning languages so I've also listened to language lessons on long runs. I like to practice some mindfulness but I'm definitely not the burning sage and banging a gong type and I think running and swimming are great for that, the pacing is rhythmic and it's good to focus on your breathing. Depending on effort, I may use a 2-2, 3-2 or 4-2 matching strides and inhale-exhale. On good days, I can achieve a form of relaxing meditative state in moderate effort runs.

For me, having a routine is key and penciling my workouts and what I will do in them for the week ahead of time in my schedule is important. If it's loosy goosy, I might skip here and there.

I also try to read articles or watch videos relating to the workouts I want to do in a week. Runner's World has good stuff on running and I like Jeff Cavaliere from Athlean X for gym stuff. Keeps my workout fresh and varied. Good times to do some 400 challenges with gym closed, I'll be doing that and a run tomorrow.

I'm a lone wolf and prefer to work out alone but many enjoy the social aspects, you can try to find a workout buddy if you don't have one already. Can even be virtual these days.

I also noticed that in my Strava feed which relates but haven't gone through it:

https://whywerun.strava.com/?chapter...16468668104007
    The only thing I would add is setting weekly and monthly targets in terms of total distance run and time over various distances. If I missed a run then hitting the target would be difficult and that got me out after a long day's work and on a cold, dark and wet English winter's evening.
    Kowloon72 likes this.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hopefully these ideas help me pull the finger out.

Wear a wristband and try to escape the pitchforks

greenmark, huja and jack55 like this.

I find the one thing that really keeps my motivated to get out of the house for a long run is my wife.

She hates running.

rkenia852 likes this.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hopefully these ideas help me pull the finger out.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Wear a wristband and try to escape the pitchforks
    There's an app for that (seriously!)

https://zombiesrungame.com/
    mrgoodkat likes this.

I stopped my run training completely 1 week after the official announcement of cancellation of Seoul Marathon, knowing that I won't sign up for another race for replacement as the weather will become too hot for me to train for running later.

I continued my swim training having a race in August, but it has not been effective as I cannot get swim lessons because all pools have been closed. Recently as all the group practices are suspended my motivation to swim has gone as well.

podcasts by runners are a great motivation. check out The Rich Roll Podcast or Jesse M Thomas with his wife, Lauren (both competitive runners). personally, i think that if you ARE a runner, aligning with someone who IS a runner gives a greater sense of belonging and community.

as someone shared, the strava community is pretty big too.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang:
    I stopped my run training completely 1 week after the official announcement of cancellation of Seoul Marathon, knowing that I won't sign up for another race for replacement as the weather will become too hot for me to train for running later.

I continued my swim training having a race in August, but it has not been effective as I cannot get swim lessons because all pools have been closed. Recently as all the group practices are suspended my motivation to swim has gone as well.
    I have done a couple of swims at Repulse Bay, I have noticed people also swimming at Shek O and Deep Water Bay. I am assuming your race is in open water anyway. Best to go with a friend for safety as there are no lifeguards.
    rkenia852 likes this.