Like Tree15Likes

Running motivation when there are no races

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Running motivation when there are no races

Is anyone else struggling to find the motivation to run without a race to aim for? When SC Mara was cancelled, I was fine, actually happy to focus on the shorter stuff for a while...then that all got cancelled too. There are still trail races going ahead, which I can take or leave, xter race (sic) have some races but I usually avoid them as previous experience suggests they make zero effort environmentally.

Any tips on keeping motivated? Tonight was due to be my long run, but I cut it short as I just didn't have that little extra push to go on.

I guess you are lacking motivation because you don't have a goal.
    So you need to find a new one.
    It could be planning a 6 month block towards another marathon or preferably setting a speed goal.
    Marathon training tends to be an excellent foundation for getting faster on intermediate distances like 10K or 5K.
    Why not focus on increasing your speed over 5K/10K. Set out a training program to lower your 10K race time by focussing on tempo / threshold running and mile repeats. You wont have the races in the short-term to validate your effort but you can use the watch to keep your progress on target.
    As for long run on Thursday night? Why not switch it to weekend morning. Psychologically may be easier not to cut it short. You may sweat more but you can always take a walk break to cool off.
    If none of that works, then take a break from running. Get a bike and explore NT.

hullexile, Kowloon72 and rkenia852 like this.

Fearless dragon is still on scheduled for early june

Kowloon72 likes this.

Personally, I only saw races as a source of motivation if I felt I could win or be in the mix. I haven't done races or competitions in years for anything individual, it just seems like a waste of money unless it's a social thing that you do with friends. I could see choosing to do a destination marathon but getting up a dawn to trek to a local 10K and paying money to do that...Probably never again. I don't see any difference between setting a personal goal and trying to achieve it on my own time and if seeing your name and where you stand is important then do common segments and use Strava. You can measure yourself against people of your own sex, age, weight in a variety of given time periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Eva C:
    I guess you are lacking motivation because you don't have a goal.
    So you need to find a new one.
    It could be planning a 6 month block towards another marathon or preferably setting a speed goal.
    Marathon training tends to be an excellent foundation for getting faster on intermediate distances like 10K or 5K.
    Why not focus on increasing your speed over 5K/10K. Set out a training program to lower your 10K race time by focussing on tempo / threshold running and mile repeats. You wont have the races in the short-term to validate your effort but you can use the watch to keep your progress on target.
    As for long run on Thursday night? Why not switch it to weekend morning. Psychologically may be easier not to cut it short. You may sweat more but you can always take a walk break to cool off.
    If none of that works, then take a break from running. Get a bike and explore NT.
    Thanks some good suggestions. Yeah, I was due to do the shatin riverside 10k in March (cancelled obv) and was doing lots of mile repeats and other intervals to prep in Feb. A mate paced me on a similar route and I took a fair chunk off my 10k PB. With it getting hotter I couldn't beat that at the moment. Shame the tracks are closed again. Did some decent 400 work there last week.

Childcare responsibilities rules out long runs on the weekend I'm afraid.

Thanks for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Personally, I only saw races as a source of motivation if I felt I could win or be in the mix. I haven't done races or competitions in years for anything individual, it just seems like a waste of money unless it's a social thing that you do with friends. I could see choosing to do a destination marathon but getting up a dawn to trek to a local 10K and paying money to do that...Probably never again. I don't see any difference between setting a personal goal and trying to achieve it on my own time and if seeing your name and where you stand is important then do common segments and use Strava. You can measure yourself against people of your own sex, age, weight in a variety of given time periods.
    Fair enough, bro. Different folks, different strokes.

There are likely "virtual races" you can run. You could also change things up, throw in some cycling, trail running, etc. into your training. I too am at a low point in running motivation. Through last summer and fall I had been running with some guys who had time targets for Chicago and New York. I got sick and then injured in the winter and lost the running momentum. I switched to tennis in October and I had been playing regularly before COVID-19 shut it all down. Now I'm riding the stationary bike in front of the TV and and doing some strength training. Once the weather gets warmer, I'm sure the lure of running will call again.

Kowloon72 likes this.

Do zwift running races online?

rkenia852 likes this.

Take up swimming, you can compete against Star Ferry

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast