Like Tree29Likes

Are government campsites still closed?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yes, please do bring a spade/shovel for your (human) waste...

Trails are getting pretty disgusting lately.

Morrison, hike, Sage and 1 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Even an attempt to go substantially off trail and cover over in undergrowth would be a vast improvement.
    hike and jgl like this.

Isn't tissue by nature of being made with "100% virgin wood pulp" biodegradable? What's not are wet wipes with plastic interwoven.

Something like this is ultra light and very easy to take:
    https://www.amazon.com/TheTentLab-Im...0899488&sr=8-3

While I know the gov campsites are still closed, pretty much every one I pass has some people camping there. In some cases, the tape and warning signs seem to have been removed. Also, I've not seen any press on warnings or fines for a very long time. So, my question is, are the park rangers/police really enforcing the ban? Any info, hearsay, coincidental or actual fact, would be most welcome

Quote Originally Posted by jt501:
    So, my question is, are the park rangers/police really enforcing the ban? Any info, hearsay, coincidental or actual fact, would be most welcome
    Please feel free to go camp at one of these sites as our guinea pig and provide us feedback on your experience.

There are so many outdoor natural places to go camping, I dont know why people still try to go camping at these closed of AFCD sites, if they want all the nice necessities that some sites have, why dont they just go bock a hotel room instead LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Isn't tissue by nature of being made with "100% virgin wood pulp" biodegradable? What's not are wet wipes with plastic interwoven.

Something like this is ultra light and very easy to take:
    https://www.amazon.com/TheTentLab-Im...0899488&sr=8-3
    You really need to watch where you put your feet at the moment. The dry winter weather and poor attempts to shit appropriately have left some serious mess at any natural shelter along trails. It seems some people don't even head for cover and drop their load at the immediate trailside. I go way off trail, dig a hole, bury my turds, and carry a plastic bag to put tissue paper in and pack it out for disposal.
    Elegiaque and Coolboy like this.

Following the helpful advice, here is the feedback on my experience....

We took a weird way into a campsite in SW Lantau, thinking to avoid passing park rangers etc, arriving around 4pm. Very few people there, maybe 2 other small groups. Campsite was remarkably clean and long drop toilets were open and perfectly respectable.
    Packed up completely quite early planning to wild camp, but ended up returning to the same campsite for NYE. Loads more people, but not quite full.
    On walking out this morning, people were camping all over the place. I imagine nowhere is quite as pristine as it was yesterday. God knows what the mess is like at Ham Tin.

Anyway.. conclusion: Based on extremely anecdotal evidence ( 2 nights/1 campsite/NYE), nobody seems to be enforcing the ban/closure of government campsites.