Like Tree23Likes

Physical fitness offer for permanent resident only. Legal?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It does seem odd the discrimination between 'temporary' residents and permanent residents. The 10K hand out is another example. To me the logical/fair approach would be resident tax payer (i.e. living in HK and paying HK tax).

Jeanbill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rs4:
    *getting my popcorn ready
    Much original wow

Small Claims Tribunal is the wrong court

bak875 and Jeanbill like this.

dont forget elderly discount

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    They have been giving out offers for permanent residents for years.

Discrimination? What.

May as well complain about student discounts as well. Discrimination.

Maybe they are counting on you forgetting to cancel automatic renewal and charging you for next year and being better able to hold you to it instead of there being a chance they'll just be leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanbill:
    Hello fellow expats,

Title says it all.

Was contacted by a Physical Fitness regarding an interesting offer (1000 hkd/year for access to all clubs). Thought sknce it's only 1k, why not giving it a try. Even if gyms close again it is just 1k...

Got there, hand over my ID and was told that this offer doesn't apply to temporary residents...bummer

Anyone familiar with the law: is that even legal? That's borderline discriminatory to me.

If that's not, I am happy to push them to honer the offer or I will take them to the small court tribunal.

Thx!
    It seems to be a special offer. From my experience, special offers normally comes with small fine print. Were you able to ask over the phone what was the catch? What were the details of the offer? Were you going to be locked in for xx number of years?

I don't think they would be breaking any law. Similar to sale signs, you would see 50% off advertised on window shops yet on closer inspection, the fine print would say for example 50% off on the second item you purchased and this applies to the lower cost product and so on and so on.

Normally on these things I would do due diligence specially as it seemed to be too good to be true. I would describe this as being butthurt more than anything. Move on.

Hello fellow expats,

Title says it all.

Was contacted by a Physical Fitness regarding an interesting offer (1000 hkd/year for access to all clubs). Thought sknce it's only 1k, why not giving it a try. Even if gyms close again it is just 1k...

Got there, hand over my ID and was told that this offer doesn't apply to temporary residents...bummer

Anyone familiar with the law: is that even legal? That's borderline discriminatory to me.

If that's not, I am happy to push them to honer the offer or I will take them to the small court tribunal.

Thx!
    what did the gym offer you for a non pr?

in Korea I’ve been denied entry to many businesses (typically bars, clubs, spas) who explicitly have a “no foreigners allowed” policy. It’s quite common and the legal system has no recourse for it. While there was a bit of pushback in recent years (or they try to be less explicit and simply say it’s a dress code issue as a workaround) covid ramped up establishments returning to taking on this policy.

https://thediplomat.com/2016/03/the-...an-foreigners/

rs4 likes this.

$1,000 per year is so cheap and this is the first time I heard about it. It is too cheap - I think it is a scam to lure you inside only.

Hello fellow expats,

Title says it all.

Thx!

Hello fellow expats,

Title says it all.

Thx!
    It's probably priced so that the 2nd year is at full rate. As you are a temp resident, you won't extend that K so the offer doesn't apply to you. There's no discrimination IMO. More like keeping out free-riders.