Like Tree23Likes

Physical fitness offer for permanent resident only. Legal?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Non HK ID holders (me) pay a premium surcharge at the public golf course, on Kau Sai Chao island. For me to play golf there, i need to fork over US$120, at least.

That is a recreation facility subsidized by the govt, and operated by the Jockey Club, so maybe it's all kosher. BUT, i don't like it.

At public swim pools, when open, i pay the normal elder rate since i do carry an Octopus elder card.
    Re: KSC Public Golf Course .. no HK iD then you’re a tourist ? As far as I remember no differences ( green fee ) HK Permanent ID and ID Card holder.. Sounds ok Tourists e.g. like my visiting dad always a premium

Let's get Physical

I feel it is more to do with a marketing initiative than anything else.

Such deep discount contracts are typically two or three year no-exit contracts that offer a deep discount on the first year to lock you in at full price over the next two years. So the cost for Physical over a three-year period is typically between 20-30% on the rack rate.

Physical won't be able to pursue you for your dues if you are a non-PR and leave HK after a year, hence the reluctance. I would advise going to a rolling one month contract with a local gym rather than a chain.

Remember the old adage -- If it's too good to be true, it is ................

Physical 1 year membership for $1000 if you have PR

I wanted to get the answer from someone more knowledgeable. I’m fairly certain the answer is yes.

Is this legal? Can a business discriminated based on residency status?

@KowloonRun - been discussed above..

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by icarushongkong:
    Physical won't be able to pursue you for your dues if you are a non-PR and leave HK after a year, hence the reluctance.
    How could they pursue you? Physical typically makes you pay upfront. Any “financing” is done via your credit card company.

In my last negotiation with Physical the salesperson said , yes, you can by the month. I asked how. They told me to call my CC company. I asked why I would pay interest for three years for the ability to pay by the month. They looked sheepish.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @KowloonRun - been discussed above..
    Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanbill:
    Discrimination wasn't probably the right term. More like unfair commercial practice.
    Discrimination is the right word.

There are some gyms in HK where non-PR holders are not welcome.

I would to see Planet Fitness open in HK with its NA rules. Cheap monthly rates, auto paid. It comes down to a front-end cash grab (the HK norm) or playing the long game.

Quote Originally Posted by KowloonRun:
    I would to see Planet Fitness open in HK with its NA rules. Cheap monthly rates, auto paid.
    Wouldnt last long with HK rents being so expensive.
    shri likes this.