Like Tree39Likes

World golf GOAT goes down

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    That shit went down about half an hour from where I live. I drive that stretch of road going to/from my friend's house from time to time. It's steep and there is a bit of a blind curve, but if the weather is Okay and you're paying attention, it shouldn't be an issue. It was the lead story on the local news.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/section-of-hawthorne-blvd-where-tiger-woods-crashed-is-prone-to-accidents-locals-say/#:~:text=of%20Hawthorne%20Blvd.-,where%20Tiger%20Woods%20crashed%20is,hotspot'%20f or%20accidents%2C%20officials%20say&text=The%20par t%20of%20Hawthorne%20Boulevard,%E2%80%9Chotspot%E2 %80%9D%20for%20car%20crashes.
    The vehicle Woods was driving hit the median strip, Sheriff Villanueva said, went over it and then traveled several hundred feet, rolled several times and came to rest in the brush on the opposite side of the road. There were no skid marks, indicating that Woods had made no attempt to brake, the sheriff said, and that his first contact had been with the center median before he crossed into the opposing lane of traffic.
    He would have to be absolutely hauling ass to jump the concrete median! If he were driving at reasonable speed and drifted into the median while distracted, he wouldn't have jumped it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/s...4n8TqGpRCx79Hk
    Last edited by huja; 25-02-2021 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Tiger Woods has not been Golf's GOAT for quite a while now.
    I think he still is because he's known even by those like myself who hates golf with passion, and I've a very little knowledge of this sport despite seeing dad playing golf all the time. Used to call him Lion Woods and he never missed any golf tournaments which featured Tiger Woods himself.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    I think he still is because he's known even by those like myself who hates golf with passion, and I've a very little knowledge of this sport despite seeing dad playing golf all the time. Used to call him Lion Woods and he never missed any golf tournaments which featured Tiger Woods himself.
    The important point is that well known does not necessarily equal the best. The best criteria is still the majors he won, and on that count, he's only second best.
    hannah01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The important point is that well known does not necessarily equal the best. The best criteria is still the majors he won, and on that count, he's only second best.
    On the other hand it is GOAT not BOAT. Perhaps "greatest" is wider than "best"? Not sure, but I think greatest might include fame as well.
    hannah01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    On the other hand it is GOAT not BOAT. Perhaps "greatest" is wider than "best"? Not sure, but I think greatest might include fame as well.
    Yeah I suppose you can see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    l have him down as COAT
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    This is why I don't like SUV's and their high centre of gravity that is prone to roll over in accidents or at the end of their handling limit, compared to a lower slung conventional station wagon, which has always been my preference since we had children. Basically, they are bad handling HIGH riding station wagons. Which is why I talked my wife out of getting one again and to not be a sheep like the other soccer mums who ' have ' to have an SUV. SUV's really are the fat elephant on roller skates of vehicles with A LOT less cabin/cargo space too. Factor in the stupidly large wheel diameters that these stupid vehicles use that really are useless off road ( ask anybody that goes off road in a proper 4wd they'll tell you that 15 inch wheels with high side walled tyres are the best for that application ) They're a stupidly 'marketed' vehicle design in my opinion.

Hope Tiger recovers from his injuries as that would have been a pretty hectic experience, no car accident is ever fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...ility_vehicles

There is a HUGE amount of info online about the SUV roll over issue. It's nothing new, but it just surprises me that especially women, like these high riding vehicles that will require more concentration to drive etc compared to a conventional road car.
    Have to agree. I'm no fan of SUVs myself. SUVs and cross-overs are now all the rage for drivers around the world, they are out-selling traditional sedans, hatchbacks, coupes, minivans and wagons (both van and wagons are heading for extinction in certain markets, if the trend holds, although both are still going strong in HK, if all the Toyota Alphards on our streets is any hint).

I was never into SUVs for some reason. The early ones I drove just handled really badly at high speed and their tall height meant you can't corner them fast or else it will tip over. I also didn't appreciate the extra gas consumption. Yeah I know, more modern SUV and cross-overs have addressed many of those concerns, the BMW X6M can in fact be a track machine despite being a SUV. But still, overall, their handling and fuel efficency is still inferior to many sedan or coupes. If extra space is required, a wagon or minivan beats a SUV in terms actual space provided and more convenient in my personal opinion, even if both of those vehicles are now unpopular with the American buyer. And if I had the money, I would buy a BMW M3/M4 over any X M model any day.

That being said, I do favor SUVs for one type of driving, real off-road driving, for that purpose, a SUV is unbeatable. The Land Rover Defender, the Jeep Wrangler and the Toyota Landcruiser, all with 4X4 all-wheel drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Yes, speed can be a contributing factor, but if you want to see how easy an SUV is to roll over, do a sudden J Turn in one, even at 20mph would probably be fast enough to allow physics to do its thing and tip most vehicles with a high centre of gravity at the very least, on to their side. Increase speed and you will induce enough momentum to roll over.
    At the end of the day, SUVs are only really good for one thing, real off-road driving. Once upon a time, the Jeep Wrangler, Range Rover and Toyota Land Cruiser were spartan and strictly utilitarian machines designed to transport its occupants over non-paved gravel roads and if need be, actual off-road driving. But somewhere along the way, all those SUVs transformed into luxury barges and status symbols. The average Range Rover owner today for example, is very unlikely to take their vehicles off the road, they wouldn't want to scratch its paint after all.

Cross-overs are even worse, unlike real SUVs, they can't really do off-road driving. And yet their higher centre of gravity means they can't corner as well as sedan and coupes. And their larger size and heavier weight means they have worse fuel economy too. They are like a bastard child between SUVs and sedans, yet can't do either function as well as its "parents", whether its off-road driving or regular commuting.

On Saturday I drove the stretch of Hawthorne Blvd. where Woods wrecked. At the 84-87 MPH speed estimate cited in the article, I'm not sure Hamilton Lewis would have stayed on the road navigating a heavy SUV.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/s...car-crash.html

Elefant&Castle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    On Saturday I drove the stretch of Hawthorne Blvd. where Woods wrecked. At the 84-87 MPH speed estimate cited in the article, I'm not sure Hamilton Lewis would have stayed on the road navigating a heavy SUV.
    Reckless - lucky no one else got hurt. How fast did you go?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast