Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque
  • 1 Post By zzzzzz
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By Andy SNK

Bike rental drop off at ends of new territories cycle track?

Closed Thread

Bike rental drop off at ends of new territories cycle track?

Hi

Does anyone know of any bike rental shops in new territories that allow you to drop off bikes at either end of the NT cycle track?

E.g allows you to start in Tai Wai and drop off in Tuen Mun, or similar the other way?

Cheers

Yes... We did this and we used two different companies. Just ask when you're renting where you can drop off. Most companies have multiple spots. I was going to write about this but somehow life got in the way of trying to send it off...

Here is what I drafted:

There are a variety of bicycle kiosks in LCSD parks along the way. Many will let you rent a decent bicycle from $80-120 per day and leave it at another point along the way. Baskets, kids’ seats, helmets, and locks can be provided for a small charge. The two operators we used were Lucky Bicycle and Lung Kee Bicycle. Take some time to study the route and consider printing the route, as no maps are provided by CEDD/LCSD.
    We got terribly lost in Fanling and in Yuen Long because there were some confusing "path closed use detour" signs that I think just led us the wrong way -- and the path is just too chopped up in those areas. Really overall poor design, but nevermind, it is what it is...

The companies kind of seem cut-throat towards each other.

We found route-finding challenging to the point we nearly gave up, but in the end it was the bloody highlight of our year.
    chuckster007 likes this.

I used 龍記單車 recently:

https://m.facebook.com/LungKeeBicycleShop/

They also had road bicycles which was nice.

chuckster007 likes this.

This looks like something new to do, I might give it a go. Wonder how long it will take from Tai Wai to Tuen Mun for an unfit fatty lol, in my recent exercise trips, I walked from my home in Chai Wan to Central star ferry non stop, took me nearly 3 hours, couldnt feel my legs afterwards LOL

Based on the ad looks like it will take 6 hours from TW to TM might try the shorter distance 1st or my knees wont work anymore afterwards

Name:  244938143_2802656826691151_5120573703349346034_n.jpg
Views: 5157
Size:  151.3 KB

Andy SNK likes this.

Thanks.

Did you use two companies because you have to switch bikes during the route? E.g. one company covers half of the route, and another company for the other half?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    This looks like something new to do, I might give it a go. Wonder how long it will take from Tai Wai to Tuen Mun for an unfit fatty lol, in my recent exercise trips, I walked from my home in Chai Wan to Central star ferry non stop, took me nearly 3 hours, couldnt feel my legs afterwards LOL

Based on the ad looks like it will take 6 hours from TW to TM might try the shorter distance 1st or my knees wont work anymore afterwards

Get Lalamove / Gogovan number handy in case you need them
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfoster29:
    Thanks.

Did you use two companies because you have to switch bikes during the route? E.g. one company covers half of the route, and another company for the other half?
    one company from Tai Wa to Tuen Mun

https://www.lkbike-hk.com/?lang=en

seems they have 6 branches along the whole route so you could drop it off at any of them.

https://www.lkbike-hk.com/branch-location/?lang=en

Great , thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by tomfoster29:
    Thanks.

No, we used one for our "through cycle" trip -- Sha Tin to Sheng Shui (then we stayed the night at Hyatt), then the next day Sheung Shui to Tuen Mun.

But Tuen Mun bike drop off is at Siu Hong (I think for Lung Kee). So we went back another time and got bikes at Tin Shui Wai bike park (I think that one is Lucky) and dropped off in Tuen Mun. We tried to bail out in Tin Shui Wai the first time because we were so mad at Yuen Long's mess... but because it was a different company, they wouldn't accept our bikes there, so we had to find a way to keep going -- once we got on the straight part to Tuen Mun along the tram tracks it was OK again. Point being: you must return your bike to the same company hub, but the companies have many hubs and can give you the addresses.

We also went back and got bikes at Tai Po to cycle to Ma On Shan and back to Sha Tin.

Yes, we're that bored.

It doesn't matter how fast a cyclist could cycle it -- it is designed very poorly so the pace is slow. It's leisurely but fun, too. Expect a slightly sore bum from all the uneven pavement bumps.

Actually, the government's pedantic approach to cycling, as if we're all kindergartners on bikes, is quite annoying.

Agree, nicest place is Sha Tin to Sheung Shui. Around Tuen Mu can be nice, too. Sheung Shui out initially is so beautiful, but then you go along the highway and that does suck, partly because of their poor design.

Original Post Deleted
    Is this an open and fast bike route, or is it more like the cycle paths out towards Shatin, where it is often quite narrow, interspersed with awkward crossings, and people trying to ride bikes for the first time in their lives? Riding out in Shatin at 25kph strikes me as a bit optimistic.

I'd be interested to do this soon, would enjoy it more with properly set expectations