Like Tree7Likes

Goji Closes & Physical Takes Over Memberships

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Which Goji did you go to in Central? The first incarnation (5 floors that was previously California) or the more recent one (2.5 floors) across the street?

The last time I checked prices in Fitness First it was north of $750. But for those of us who've been around, note that it was not just California.

I've been a member in California, Fitness First, Physical, Goji and now, after been meaning to get around to it for 20 yrs - LCSD. None of them have been stable apart from of course LCSD that's immune to private sector economics.

Califonia downgraded from LKF to L-Place and then bust.

FF (which was across the fountain from Physical) couldn't afford their lease and moved to Connaught, became a FF 'premium' and doubled its prices. - It did well to survive that.

Physical halved its floor space and went way down in quality and all the serious gym goers deserted it in droves (mostly to Goji), it's most recently been known for its 1k/yr deals for PR's - Goji going under will probably be its lifeline in central.

Goji is just the same old story on repeat.
    L Place. I went for a week as a trial. It was a pretty decent gym, just didn't suit what I was looking for, and also there were a couple of overly grunty patrons overlapping my times (yeah, the things that put me off a gym can be a bit weird, but hey, that's what trial periods are for).

I also used to go to the old FF location, but that was so long ago I can barely remember it. Calling the new location Premium is taking the piss though.

Physical fell off my radar a long time ago. I've never been revolted by changerooms before or since, but Physical is seared into my memory.
    Sage likes this.

Agreed, Goji Central had really nice modern changing rooms and the equipment was decent. With their own cafe, shop and other floors which I've never even been to (3rd floor had a Private stretching area strangely enough).
    The closing of goji really is a shame on a personal note, as I remember I started my Instagram, shot a lot of my workouts in the gym and then got sponsored by their meal prep company Youni. But when you go to their central gym (on Queens Road too) on a Saturday mid-morning and it's got 5-10 people then you kinda know the time will be up soon

As of 8am today, Customs had received a total of 57 complaints regarding the fitness chain, involving 48 complainants and fitness contracts amounting to about $1.2 million. Customs has contacted all complainants to obtain the details of each complaint and to commence investigation.

Initial investigation revealed that the four fitness centres involved were operated by two directors. Customs officers today interviewed the two directors in order to pursue an investigation into the incident. Also, the officers strongly reminded them that traders are obligated to properly handle the prepayment services purchased by their customers under any circumstances, for instance to provide a refund arrangement.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...2010700317.htm

Who wants a bet that a new gym will pop up taking over all the old Goji (california) locations?

Rinse and repeat = Profit.

Just a quick update - the extension membership at Physical wasn't suspended when the govt closed all gyms. Thus i was expecting to have almost 5 months left, turns out I only have 3 weeks lol. And they are continually asking me if I wanna join for an actual contract

Other observations;
    - there are no paper towels anywhere, not even in toilet or changing rooms so no chance of wiping down the equipment. It's like Covid never happened
    - quite a lot of equipment broken but with no signage
    - the equipment is pretty filthy - rust and dirt on the barbells, machines & dumbells
    - may be just me but I haven't used their water fountains, their general hygiene (or lack of) I don't really trust them maintaining their water pipes
    - I don't think I'm brave enough to take a shower yet. And I've been to dungeon gyms in the uk before where there would be a hole in the floor where a dumbell was dropped & went through to the floor below

There are some pros, the locations are pretty good and the Tsuen wan location must be the biggest gym in hk or at least right up there. Some branches are pretty ghetto but some are better, also sheung wan in that category

Have you been to the CWB branch? I'm thinking $125 per month just for their sauna (if nothing else), may be worth it.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4