Like Tree8Likes

Kabaddi?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kabaddi?

Perhaps the oddest spectator sport I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/RTi9H_gLv3U

https://www.economist.com/culture/20...7WH5J60k581YHo

shri likes this.

I had a friend try to explain that to me once as "the game where they form a chain and grab each other holding their breath."

Everyone was confused.

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I had a friend try to explain that to me once as "the game where they form a chain and grab each other holding their breath."

Everyone was confused.
    Usually when I see a new sport in action following an explanation I go, "Ooooh, I get it." Not with Kabaddi. Still no F*cking idea what's going on after watching that video.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Usually when I see a new sport in action following an explanation I go, "Ooooh, I get it." Not with Kabaddi. Still no F*cking idea what's going on after watching that video.
    Easier to explain than cricket.

Each team takes turns invading or guarding their territory. The invader has to cross the line you see near the guards else he has failed. The guards have to prevent the invader from crossing the line.

If the invader touches a guard and crosses back safely the guard is 'out'. If the invader gets captured he is out ...

All of this is done while the invader is supposed to be holding his breath (to limit the time spent invading) and muttering kabbadi kabbadi kabbadi under his breath.

That's how we played it as kids in India. No clue what rules are in the new competitive leagues...
    Last edited by shri; 11-10-2022 at 05:12 AM.

Dont have a subscription for the economist ... But it is explained in the visible snippet.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Easier to explain than cricket.
    All of this is done while the invader is supposed to be holding his breath (to limit the time spent invading) and muttering kabbadi kabbadi kabbadi under his breath.
    This is the one that gets me. Does an official monitor the single breath?

@Tom007 . . . you are the biggest sports fan on GXP by a large margin. Care to start/maintain a thread on the 2022 season of the PKL?

They used to show it sometimes on TV in the UK (at least pre-2000).

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    This is the one that gets me. Does an official monitor the single breath?
    Hold your breath is figurative, not about actual breath in/out which is practically impossible to monitor, basically you cant stop saying kabbadi kabbadi throughout the attack/invasion, the moment you stopped muttering meaning you lost your breath, technically player is obviously breathing between muttering..

Yeah, I intuited the basic rules, but had no idea about the holding the breath part. Is kabbadi just the name of the game or does it have other meanings?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast